List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: DALTON HALL WITH ATTACHED FORECOURT WALLS

List entry Number: 1208904

Location

DALTON HALL WITH ATTACHED FORECOURT WALLS, CONYNGHAM ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
ManchesterMetropolitan Authority

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 03-Oct-1974

Date of most recent amendment: 06-Jun-1994

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 388029

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

MANCHESTER

SJ8595 CONYNGHAM ROAD, Rusholme 698-1/22/789 (East side) 03/10/74 Dalton Hall with attached forecourt walls (Formerly Listed as: CONYNGHAM ROAD, Rusholme (East side) Dalton Hall)

GV II

Hall of residence for members of the Society of Friends to attend Manchester University. 1881-2 by G.T.Redmayne. Stock brick wih red brick and sandstone dressings, some red terracotta, slate roofs with red cockscomb ridging tiles. Long range with rear wing towards south end. Three storeys with basement and attics, asymmetrical, with a gabled wing at the north end, a lower 3-window link with 3 gables, and a higher 9-window range with 4 gables, the first 2 linked and the 3rd, which breaks forwards slightly, containing the main entrance. High basement, moulded terracotta sill-bands to all floors, stone gable copings. The entrance, up a flight of steps, has a wide 2-centred arch moulded in 3 orders with a hoodmould, and a richly ornamented triptych of terracotta panels above, including the date 1881, and above this a 3-light brick-mullioned window to each floor, the lower under a segmental relieving arch and the upper in a 2-centred blank arch. To the right of the entrance is a 3-stage transomed stairwindow; otherwise, most other windows are of 3 and 4 lights with brick mullions and segmental relieving arches, those at 1st and 2nd floors of the coupled gable portion set in pilasterd giant blank arches. Attached to the entrance steps are the splayed returned ends of the forecourt wall, which has brick piers at short intervals, linked by twisted iron bars.

Listing NGR: SJ8561195593

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SJ 85611 95593

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Nov-2014 at 08:53:05.