List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: THE COUNTY BAR THE CUMBRIAN HOTEL (PART)

List entry Number: 1208798

Location

THE COUNTY BAR, 2, 4 AND 6, BOTCHERGATE
THE CUMBRIAN HOTEL (PART), COURT SQUARE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
CumbriaCarlisleDistrict Authority

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 11-Apr-1994

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 386632

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

CARLISLE

NY4055NW BOTCHERGATE 671-1/12/53 (West side) Nos.2, 4 AND 6 The County Bar

GV II

Formerly known as: The County Hotel BOTCHERGATE. Includes: The Cumbrian Hotel (part) COURT SQUARE. Also known as: Fletchers BOTCHERGATE. Hotel extension and hall, over shop and bar, originally forming part of The Cumbrian Hotel in Court Square. 1866-8 by Cory and Ferguson. Painted brick with rusticated pilastered quoins, string courses and modillioned brick eaves cornice. Slate roof (not visible from the street) with gabled dormers; original painted brick end and ridge chimney stacks. 3 storeys and attic, 3 bays. Central C20 doors and fanlight in paired colonnette surround under glazed canopy. Flanking C20 shop windows within original shop openings under signboards with ball finials. Arcade of small paired casements above in deep brick recesses with modillions; pair above entrance within pilasters carried up from doorway. Paired sash windows above have flattened and rounded heads, those on first floor with patterned aprons and those on second floor with central colonnette, all in brick reveals. Carved stone cross between arcade windows marks the site of the former freelidge stone showing the city boundary. The stone had originally been at pavement level. INTERIOR has been extensively altered. Plans for this are in Cumbria County Record Office, CA/E4/766 and 773, dated 22 February 1866. Forms an integral part of the ballroom of The Cumbrian Hotel (qv) as this building extends over it.

Listing NGR: NY4026255556

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: NY 40280 55566

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Oct-2014 at 05:12:17.