List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST GEORGE

List entry Number: 1208640

Location

CHURCH OF ST GEORGE, CHESTER ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
ManchesterMetropolitan Authority

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 03-Oct-1974

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 388005

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

MANCHESTER

SJ8297 CHESTER ROAD 698-1/18/57 (North side) 03/10/74 Church of St George

GV II*

Church. 1826-8, by Francis Goodwin, restored 1884 by J.S.Crowther. Sandstone ashlar, slate roofs. Gothick Perpendicular style. Nave with west tower, north and south aisles under parallel roofs, diagonal porches at west ends of these, and high polygonal apse. Tall west tower of 4 unequal stages, with set-back buttresses completed as tall octagonal traceried pinnacles with embattled tops and crocketed spirelets; 2-centred arched west doorway with set-in shafts and 3 orders of moulding, double doors with Perpendicular tracery, traceried 2-light west window, clock-face over this, coupled traceried 2-light windows to the 3rd stage, tall set-back 4th stage with slender louvred and traceried belfry window, open-work parapet and much carved ornament. Six-bay aisles with buttresses finished as pinnacles rising through embattled parapet, large 2-centred arched 3-light transomed windows with Perpendicular tracery and hoodmoulds; diagonal west porches with doorways similar to west doorway of tower, and traceried 2-light windows. Embattled parapet to nave, terminating in octagonal east turrets matching the pinnacles of the tower. High polygonal apse. Interior not inspected but reported as having: galleries; Perpendicular arcades; wall monument to The Hon. George Berkeley Molyneux (d.1841), by Edward Physick, in form of soldier mourning beside urn (these details from Pevsner).

Listing NGR: SJ8288997296

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: South Lancashire, (1969)

National Grid Reference: SJ 82889 97296

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Oct-2014 at 04:54:51.