List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: THE DEANERY AND PRIOR'S TOWER

List entry Number: 1208577

Location

THE DEANERY AND PRIOR'S TOWER, 5, 5A AND 5B

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
CumbriaCarlisleDistrict Authority

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 01-Jun-1949

Date of most recent amendment: 11-Apr-1994

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 386602

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

CARLISLE

NY3955NE THE ABBEY 671-1/10/27 Nos.5, 5A AND 5B 01/06/49 The Deanery and Prior's Tower (Formerly Listed as: THE ABBEY The Deanery & No.5 & Stable and Coachhouse adjoining No.5 on south)

GV I

Prior's tower with hall range, extension and adjoining stables; now Deanery, museum and flats. For the Priory of St Mary, Carlisle. Late C15 tower and hall with C17 extensions and alterations; further 1853 extensions by James Stewart (internal alterations now partly removed, 1882 by CJ Ferguson); 1949-51 alterations dated 1950 on rainwater head. Red sandstone ashlar, some of the extensions are of squared red sandstone, on chamfered plinth, with string courses on tower and battlemented parapet. Flat lead roof on tower; otherwise greenslate roofs with coped gables and kneelers; full and half-gabled dormers; ashlar ridge and end chimney stacks. Stable range has sandstone flag roof. The main facade faces towards the Cathedral. Central square tower of 2 storeys over basement; the hall range at the right is 2-storey, 3 bays with projecting 2-storey extension; left 3-storey, 3-bay extension and beyond is the single storey, 4-bay stables. Tower has a central 2-light cusped headed oriel window, corbelled out, in a deeply chamfered surround under hoodmould and pent roof. Other small irregular casement windows; upper floor 2-light mullioned window with diamond leaded panes. The right return has a high crease for the original roof on the hall range. Rear has similar oriel and other windows. INTERIOR has rib-vaulted basement, contemporary with the tower; panelled upper floor room with panelled doors; painted wooden ceiling has decorative and heraldic devices, applied during Prior Senhouse's term of office c1494 - 1521. Angle newel stair to top storey and roof. The Deanery has a 1950 right doorway with projecting stone porch, in a single-storey 3-bay pent extension of 1853. First floor is C17 with 2-light mullioned windows and late C17 carved panel of Bishop's arms. 2-light gabled 1/2 dormers (appear on a view of 1715). The projecting facing double gable extension at right is of 1853 with 2- and 3-light mullioned and cross-mullioned windows. The rear wall of the hall range is probably C15 stonework but now with sash and mullioned windows. INTERIOR has ground floor C16 segmental-arched stone fireplaces; an upper floor fireplace is on corbels. Now internal front wall has former C17 doorway. Wooden staircase is probably of 1882 by CJ Ferguson; C19 panelled doors. Extensive repairs in 1988-9 required the gutting of the hall range. No.5 (the left extension) was formerly part of the Deanery but now a flat. Central panelled door in stone architrave with segmental pediment and flanking windows in stone architraves were all inserted in 1950 when an 1853 pent extension was removed; left blocked opening has a double chamfered surround; a right projecting stone porch (added since 1950) gives access to tower. Above are sash windows with glazing bars in C17 stone architraves with hood cornices. The V-jointed quoining at the left of calciferous sandstone is 2-storey and above it changes to red sandstone; the third storey was added in C19 with 1/2 gabled dormers. Rear 2- and 3-light mullioned and cross-mullioned windows. INTERIOR altered. Prior's Stables, Nos 5A and 5B, have a left recessed doorway now with C20 door, the C15 flattened arch with the initials TG (for Prior Thomas Gondibour, prior c1464-1494). Further right C15 doorway has segmental chamfered arch with hoodmould. Between the doors are a small and larger sash window with glazing bars in chamfered surrounds; further left C20 window in C20 opening. Left return has C20 double plank doors in C20 former garage opening. The roof had to be rebuilt in the 1960s. INTERIORS not inspected. It is now thought that the tower was built in the 1490s, not c1507 as previously thought. For further details see JH Martindale, CWAAS, Trans.NS VII; Perriam CWAAS, Trans.NS LXXXVII. Plans for the additions are in Cumbria County Record Office. Ca/E4/2018 and for the 1882 alterations, Ca/E4/1543. (Cumb. & West. Antiquarian & Archaeological Soc., New Series: Martindale JH: VII: Notes on the Deanery: P.185-201; Cumb. & West. Antiquarian & Archaeological Soc., New Series: Perriam DR: LXXXVII: The demolition of the Priory of St. Mary: P.135-136).

Listing NGR: NY3984655904

Selected Sources

Books and journals
'Transactions Cumberland and Westmorland Antiquarian and Archaeological Society' in Transactions Cumberland and Westmorland Antiquarian and Archaeological Society, (), 185-201
'Transactions Cumberland and Westmorland Antiquarian and Archaeological Society' in Transactions Cumberland and Westmorland Antiquarian and Archaeological Society, (), 135-6

National Grid Reference: NY 39844 55905

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Nov-2014 at 03:59:24.