List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: NATIONAL WESTMINSTER BANK

List entry Number: 1208423

Location

NATIONAL WESTMINSTER BANK, 2, MARKET STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
SomersetSouth SomersetDistrict AuthorityCrewkerne

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 12-Jun-1950

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 390387

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

CREWKERNE

ST4409 MARKET STREET 876-1/7/108 (West side) 12/06/50 No.2 National Westminster Bank

GV II*

Bank. 1838. MATERIALS: Ham Hill stone ashlar with hipped slate roof and rendered stacks to sides. PLAN: double-depth plan. EXTERIOR: Late Georgian style. 3 storeys; symmetrical 3-window range, though a side entrance occupies the place of the far-left ground-floor window. Platbands between floors; rusticated quoins; banded rustication to the ground-floor, with voussoirs to 6/6-pane round-arched windows reaching the platband which bears the bank name. Steps up to the central door, the round arch of which echoes the window arches. Above this is a 6/6-pane sash set in a classical architrave with Ionic pilasters resting on a cill with consoles, and supporting a cornice and pediment: above this is a 3/6-pane sash. To outer bays, on the first-floor, are 6/6-pane tripartite sashes, with similar 3/6-pane ones above. A substantial cornice, below a parapet, supports a balustrade over the central bay, with a heraldic device bearing a lion rampant. Both doors have iron gates. INTERIOR not inspected. HISTORY: notable as one of the first purpose-built banks in the country; built for the Stuckey Banking Company, and a fine example of its type. (Bragg's Directory: 1840-; Victoria County History: Somerset: Oxford: 1978-: P.9).

Listing NGR: ST4409209725

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Somerset, (1978), 9
'Bragg's Directory' in Bragg's Directory, (1840)

National Grid Reference: ST 44090 09737

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 26-Oct-2014 at 02:57:01.