List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF HOLY TRINITY

List entry Number: 1208056

Location

CHURCH OF HOLY TRINITY, CHURCH STREET EAST

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
SunderlandMetropolitan Authority

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 08-May-1950

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 391422

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SUNDERLAND

NZ4057 CHURCH STREET EAST 920-1/12/45 (East side) 08/05/50 Church of Holy Trinity

GV I

Redundant parish church. 1719. Possibly by William Etty. 1735 apse paid for by the incumbent, Daniel Newcome, extending original square-ended sanctuary; roof reconstructed by Thomas Wilson and west gallery added 1803. Windows reglazed 1803 and c1900. Handed over to Redundant Churches Fund 1988. Flemish bond brick with some original tuck pointing; ashlar dressings; dark grey slate roof. Clasping aisles to W tower and nave; shallow E chancel with apse. Baroque style. EXTERIOR: all openings have keyed stone surrounds, the principal ones with triple keys, most round-arched, all with impost mouldings. W elevation has cornice breaking forward on giant angle and tower pilasters. Tower has central high rusticated arch with triple keystone over original double 6-panelled oak doors and semicircular overlight with radiating glazing bars; small round-headed niches flank tall window above, with small-paned sashes containing the only old glass left after damage in WWII, which has triple key which breaks entablature; upper stages have quoins and cornices. Clock of 1856 in tall blind arches of third stage; top stage has louvred belfry openings; corner spirelets on square plinths which are flanked by cyma-moulded brackets. Side bays under pent roofs have keyed arches to original panelled doors below windows in keyed elliptical arches, the key rising through the cornice to shallow pilasters, and further angle pilasters above the cornice rising to pent gable coping. N and S elevations have pilasters at angles and defining west bay; keystone centres rise through cornice to pilasters of corniced parapet. E elevation has blind roundels over arched windows flanking gabled sanctuary projection with angle pilasters; semi-circular apse with Venetian window. Low-pitched roof, curved over apse. INTERIOR has giant Corinthian colonnades on corniced plinths, the E pair with plinth mouldings removed; modillioned entablatures; Venetian sanctuary arch, the outer bays breaking forward, under modillioned cornice with three broken pediments, the inner segmental framing an open book and the outer framing bishops' mitres; E Venetian window with panelled pilasters. W gallery has panelled parapet on pilasters and scroll brackets set against columns. W screen of 1724 has slender columns supporting round arches over churchwardens' and other dignitaries' pews, with names of office painted above. Flat ceiling installed after WWII damage. E apse has panelled door in left return, not visible from nave, to small cupboard. In reordering, chancel not distinguished from nave except by dais with 2 steps to central semicircular projection. Communion rail from this step and projection, in same style as stair balustrades, temporarily moved one bay west. Colonnade plinths enclosed in C20 panels. 3 Frosterley `marble' steps to apse. Apse cupboard has 2-panel door and C18 hinges. W end has vestibule behind screen to central and N porches and S vestry room. FITTINGS AND MEMORIALS: vestibule contains font by Etty and Mansfield of York with fluted marble bowl on turned limestone pedestal and sandstone base; suspended cover of carved wood has scroll brackets supporting cherubs and dove finial. Main porch has memorial to Robert Gray, rector 1819-38, by David Dunbar: over-life-size figure on high pedestal with inscription, with low flanking Greek aedicules containing low-relief figures of Faith and Charity. E window signed W Wales Newcastle on Tyne; dedicated to John Ritson, died Feb 9 1857. Much original detail and panelling survives, including close string stairs with turned balusters and grip handrails, and fittings in vestry room and library. Queen-post roof shows original trusses, with scarfed tie-beams, and raised later purlins. (Redundant Churches Fund: Milburn G: Holy Trinity, Sunderland, Tyne and Wear: London: 1990-; Hutchins R: Sunderland Parish Church A Short History: Sunderland: 1982-; Corfe T and Milburn G: Buildings and Beliefs: Sunderland: 1984-: 8-10).

Listing NGR: NZ4057557188

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Holy Trinity Sunderland, Tyne and Wear, (1990)
Corfe, T, Milburn, G, Buildings and Beliefs, (1984), 8-10
Hutchins, R , Sunderland Parish Church A Short History, (1982)

National Grid Reference: NZ 40575 57189

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Oct-2014 at 07:47:18.