List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF EMMANUEL

List entry Number: 1207907

Location

CHURCH OF EMMANUEL, BARLOW MOOR ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
ManchesterMetropolitan Authority

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 06-Jun-1994

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 387925

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

MANCHESTER

SJ89SW BARLOW MOOR ROAD, Didsbury 698-1/8/637 (North side) Church of Emmanuel

GV II

Church. 1858, by Starkey and Cuffley; with late C20 additions and internal alterations. Coursed sandstone rubble, graduated green slate roofs. Nave with north and south aisles under parallel roofs, small steeple attached to west end of south aisle, south transept, chancel with south chapel and north vestry. Decorated style. The steeple, attached to the west end of the south aisle, is octagonal, splay-footed from a square base, with a continuous arcade of tall cusped and louvred belfry windows round the base of the spire. The 3-bay south aisle and 4-bay north aisle are buttressed and have 2-centred arched windows of 3 cusped lights with cinquefoil heads; the nave has a large 4-light west window with reticulated tracery and the south transept has diagonal buttresses and a 3-light window with similar tracery; the 3-bay south chapel (now covered by C20 glazed vestibule) has 2-light windows (but that in the centre replaced with a door); the east end has diagonal buttresses, the chapel with a traceried oculus above the window, and the chancel has a large 5-light window with spherical-triangle tracery; the 3-bay vestry, attached at right angles to the chancel, has buttresses and 2-light windows. All these windows have hoodmoulds with figured stops. Interior: 4-bay arcades of double-chamfered arches carried on cylindrical columns (now painted red) with moulded annular caps; arch-braced roof to nave, scissor-braced roof to chancel; stained glass including south window of transept by William Morris, 1889, mostly leaf-scrolls but with figures in upper parts of lights; and centre window of north aisle, depicting the parable of the sower in Pre-Raphaelite style with the figure in a landscape of woodland, cornfields, and exuberant foliage (commemorating John Radcliffe, d.1876). Furnishing completely remodelled.

Listing NGR: SJ8460991302

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SJ 84609 91302

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 01-Oct-2014 at 05:08:20.