List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST WILFRID

List entry Number: 1207254

Location

CHURCH OF ST WILFRID, CHAPEL STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
LancashirePrestonDistrict Authority

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 27-Sep-1979

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 391946

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

PRESTON

SD5329SE CHAPEL STREET 941-1/11/67 (East side) 27/09/79 Church of St Wilfrid

GV II*

Roman Catholic church. 1793, rebuilt 1879-80 by Ignatius Scoles and S.J.Nichols. Red brick with much buff terracotta cladding and dressings, slate roof. Nave on north-south axis, with east and west aisles, east chapels and south apse. Italian basilica style. Six-bay nave embraced by tall aisles. High plinth dressed with sandstone, then rusticated terracotta to ground floor level, with bands, frieze and cornice of matching material. The gabled tripartite north front, the centre breaking forwards slightly, has a large round-headed doorway with very elaborate terracotta surround including tympanum with reliefs, and flanking side doors in similar style; a large circular window near the top flanked by monograms and under an enriched pediment, and windows to the tops of the aisles, of 2 round-headed lights, all these with elaborate terracotta surrounds. The west side has high-set round-headed windows with similarly elaborate surrounds. INTERIOR: basilica form, with colonnades of massive Corinthian columns in polished red marble mounted on square plinths of black marble; coffered barrel-vaulted ceiling; marble cladding to the walls and apse, in various hues, including giant Corinthian pilasters; mosaic portraits of saints over arcade to chapel; canted north gallery with ornamental cast-iron balustrade.



Listing NGR: SD5376529221

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SD 53765 29221

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Oct-2014 at 01:01:52.