List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST ANDREW

List entry Number: 1207244

Location

CHURCH OF ST ANDREW, BLACKPOOL ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
LancashirePrestonDistrict Authority

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 27-Sep-1979

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 391905

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

PRESTON

SD53SW BLACKPOOL ROAD, Ashton On Ribble 941-1/1/309 (South side) 27/09/79 Church of St Andrew

GV II

Parish church of Ashton-on-Ribble. 1836, enlarged and altered 1873-4 by Ewan Christian, vestry added 1902. Coursed squared sandstone, slate roofs. Nave, chancel, small west tower; wide north aisle added 1874, north organ house dated 1874 on rainwater head; vestry beyond this dated 1902 similarly. Romanesque tower, otherwise simple Early English style. Square 3-stage tower with clasping buttresses to 1st stage, set-back belfry stage, and short broach spire; 2 round-headed lancets to the 1st stage, one similar but larger window to the 2nd stage, with a hoodmould, and triple round-headed louvred lancets to the belfry. Nave, 4 bays, with buttresses (except at corners), has 2-centred arched windows with hoodmoulds and simple plate-tracery, all 2 lights except that in wider east bay which has 3 lights. North aisle in matching style, with gabled porch to west bay. INTERIOR: nave and aisle have arch-braced king-post roofs with curved struts; round-headed tower arch; 4-bay aisle arcade with stout cylindrical piers of polished pink granite carrying low 2-centred double-chamfered arches; chancel arch similar but larger, and with semi-columns of polished granite; chancel with sedilia, north arch to organ house, and wagon roof. Good wall monuments to various members of the Pedder family of Ashton Lodge (Pedder Lane, q.v.), including: Jane Pedder (d.1838), wall tablet surmounted by draped urn; James Pedder (d.1846), large monument with white tablet in sarcophagus form surmounted by woman weeping over broken Corinthian column (both these by C.Lewis of Cheltenham); Captain Thomas Pedder (d.1858), a white marble relief with sarcophagus flanked by military weepers and with inscription recording that he died of sunstroke after participating in the Relief of Lucknow during the Indian Mutiny (by H.Weekes); Richard Newsham Pedder of 8th Irish Hussars, (d.Calcutta 1863), wall tablet surmounted by trophies, helmets etc; also Herbert Davies M.B.,CH.B. (d.1900) in Orange River Colony, of dysentery, while serving as civil surgeon in Transvaal War, wall tablet with profile in relief.

Listing NGR: SD5158930531

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SD 51589 30531

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Dec-2014 at 01:56:24.