List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

List entry Number: 1207083

Location

CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, FULWELL ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
SunderlandMetropolitan Authority

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 10-Nov-1978

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 391462

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SUNDERLAND

NZ35NE FULWELL ROAD 920-1/4/86 (West side) 10/11/78 Church of All Saints

GV II

Parish church. 1847-9. By John Dobson. Coursed squared sandstone with ashlar plinth coping, quoins and dressings; Welsh slate roof with stone gable copings and finials; stone spire. Chancel with N vestry; nave with S aisle, SW spire and S porch. Early English style. Buttresses, clasping at corners. EXTERIOR: lower chancel has quatrefoil in E gable over 3 lancets stepped under continuous dripmould; sill string which continues below 3 small lancets with dripmoulds on S elevation. N vestry has lancet in stepped external chimney on N gable. Lombard frieze to chancel and N nave elevation which has tall paired lancets with sill string and continuous dripmould. S aisle under continuous roof has S lancet, paired S lights, boarded door in moulded arch of gabled porch. Square SW tower has octagonal short second and third stages, the third with shafted angles and lancet belfry openings, below short spire. Paired W lancets below large vesica; clasping NW buttress rises to square pinnacle with pyramid coping. C20 church hall obscures part of lower W elevation with lancet alongside. INTERIOR: S arcade with hoodstring over chamfered pointed acrhes on octagonal moulded capitals of round piers; high chancel arch with dogtooth moulding in two orders; west organ gallery; roof on corbelled wall-posts, nave hammerbeam, chancel braced tiebeam with queen struts. Windows have flower-ball stopped dripmoulds. Steps up to chancel and sanctuary. Original pews with shaped ends; gothic pulpit; 1926 chancel panelling and clergy prayer-desk and seat; WWII font of polished limestone with fluted bowl on slim pedestal. Stained glass includes possibly original mid-C19 in E windows with geometric bands and some high-quality mid-C20 glass in second pair from E in aisle, and first pair from E on N. Alexander Boddy, vicar from 1886 to 1922, was a founder of the pentecostal movement. (Corfe T and Milburn G: Buildings and Beliefs: Sunderland: 1984-: 13).

Listing NGR: NZ3986958254

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Corfe, T and Milburn, G - Title: Buildings and Beliefs - Date: 1984 - Page References: 13

National Grid Reference: NZ 39869 58254

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 02-Sep-2014 at 10:24:08.