List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: TOWN HALL

List entry Number: 1206935

Location

TOWN HALL, MARKET PLACE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
Cheshire EastUnitary Authority

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 17-Mar-1977

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 391049

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

MACCLESFIELD

SJ9173NE MARKET PLACE 886-1/10/142 (East side) 17/03/77 Town Hall

GV II*

Town hall, incorporating former police station. Town Hall 1823-4. By Francis Goodwin, with extensions of 1870 by James Stevens of Macclesfield. Ashlar. Greek Revival style. EXTERIOR: 2 storeys, 9-window range, with Ionic portico projecting over the central section, with 4 unfluted columns. Central doorway in polished granite architrave within, with flanking sash windows, all with plain pilasters. This is flanked by 2 bays each side articulated by plain pilasters, and tripartite sash windows, themselves divided by plain pilasters. Similar division above, with wide central window above the doorway. High cornice and entablature. Similar portico in return elevation to Churchside, the original entrance front of 1823. Portico flanked by single tripartite sash window to 1st floor, and plain sashes to ground-floor left, with double doors to rear courtyard and flanking side door to right. Portico itself part-filled by screen wall carrying first-floor balcony and concealing external stairs leading to balcony each side. Former Borough Police Station adjoins to rear, part of the 1870 extensions. Similar style, with paired 2-pane sash windows with moulded architraves set in panelled recesses each side of central doorway. Scrolled frieze and cornice, then panelled parapet. Lettering over ground floor. INTERIOR largely as remodelled in 1870: central stair hall top lit by painted glass lantern, the stone staircase with cast-iron rails with lamps on the newels. Coffered ceiling. Council chamber and former assembly room to first floor: wall of chamber articulated by paired pilasters, painted coffered ceiling with deeply moulded cornice and recessed panels. Similar plasterwork in assembly room to rear.

Listing NGR: SJ9175073748

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SJ 91748 73738

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Aug-2014 at 08:52:11.