List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL

List entry Number: 1206932

Location

CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL, MARKET PLACE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
Cheshire EastUnitary Authority

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 14-Apr-1949

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 391046

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

MACCLESFIELD

SJ9173NE MARKET PLACE 886-1/10/138 (East side) 14/04/49 Church of St Michael

GV II*

Parish church. C13 in origin, the exterior fabric mainly 1898-1902 but with remodelled Perpendicular tower, and 2 chapels to south of 1501-7 and 1620. Remodelled and extensively rebuilt by Sir Arthur Blomfield. Roughly coursed and squared red sandstone with ashlar tower. Stone-flagged roof. PLAN: nave with 2 aisles, clerestory and SW tower; 2 south chapels, and chancel with flanking vestries etc. EXTERIOR: west door with 5-light Perpendicular window over, with string course below ashlar gable coping. Narrow tower with heavy stepped plinth and angle buttresses, and narrow west doorway flanked by statues in niches each side. Quatrefoil frieze above the doorway and 3-light Decorated window above. Triple niche over the clock, and paired bell chamber lights, flanked by shields of arms, one recently renewed. Thin pilaster strips each side in the upper stage. Embattled parapet with gargoyles and angle pinnacles. North aisle of 6 bays divided by shallow buttresses, and with square headed Perpendicular traceried windows with continuous sill bands. Moulded cornice and parapet. Embattled parapet above shallow-arched clerestory windows. Lower eastern bay of aisle has 2 Decorated windows with transoms. 3 pointed arched windows to chancel clerestory with embattled parapet over. Large Decorated east window of 5-lights, divided by a transom. Legh Chapel projects from south aisle: hipped stone-flagged roof and circular stair tower, ornate traceried panelled porch to west. INTERIOR: mainly of 1898-1902 in a late Decorated style. Exposed stonework throughout. Nave arcade of 4 bays with additional lower bay to east now housing organ to north. Additional narrow arch to NW, with heavily buttressed wall of tower in corresponding position to south. Single respond of earlier (late C13) arcade survives to W of south arcade, a plain chamfered arch carried on corbel. Octagonal pillars with castellated moulding to capitals carry the main arcade, and foliate corbels carry wall posts for main roof trusses, the lower post of stone, timber above. Shallow cambered tie beams with castellated moulding and arched braces with shields and foliate decoration in the spandrels. Open traceried panels in between short queen posts. The principal trusses are linked by enriched shallow arched braces spanning the clerestory windows. Carved angels carry shields at base of each bay of roof. Lean-to aisles, 2 side chapels linked to the south aisle by an arcade with 2 shallow arches and steeper doorways. Remains of earlier archway now partially blocked to the west. Tomb against east wall of south aisle, Thomas Rivers, d.1694: the figure reclines in a pedimented and draped aedicule, by William Stanton, moved and repaired in 1978. Small mobile font recovered from churchyard: shallow fluted basin with enriched wooden lid carried on balustraded shaft, dated 1744. Timber pulpit, open-work base to octagonal pulpit depicting figures of saints in high relief. Semi-octagonal responds to chancel arch. Chancel up steps with low wrought-iron screen. Hammer beam roof and mosaic floor. 2 shallow arched tomb recesses to south, with deep moulding and ogee hoodmould with fleurons. Similar ogee arch to vestry doorway to south, and also to sedilia to north and south. Lower tomb recess in similar style to north. Reredos by Sir Charles Nicholson. Tombs to south of Sir John Savage the 4th (d.1495) and his wife Catherine, the 2 recumbent figures holding hands; tomb to north of an unknown knight, c1475. Legh chapel formerly the baptistery: octagonal font with blind traceried panels and green marble clustered shafts. Stained glass in south window by Shrigley and Hunt, 1903, Old and New Testament figures, linked by the theme of baptism to the lower narrative lights. Upper chamber said to have been former school room reached by staircase from Savage Chapel. Savage Chapel: 2 tomb recesses fill the lower part of the archway from the south aisle: Sir John Savage the 5th d.1492, and Sir John Savage the 6th(?). Narrow C16 doorway to chapel alongside. Canted bay for altar to east, with canopied niches in the flanking wall each side. Stained glass by Morris and Co, the Ascension, with English Saints in side lights. 2 tomb recesses in the south wall, each a deeply-moulded arch with steep pointed hoodmould with fleurons, and coats of arms carved in the apex: Sir John Savage the 7th (d.1528) and his wife - recumbent figures in a richly traceried recess with small 3-light window, also with stained glass by Morris and Co; an unknown civilian of c1500, the central part of the figure uncarved from the block. Tomb against west wall, Sir John Savage the 8th, d.1597, and his wife: 2 recumbent figures, the female at a higher level, in an aedicule, the polished shafts surmounted by obelisks each side, and figures reclining on the arch. Small wall-mounted brass, the 'Legh Pardon' brass, 1506. High south window with stained glass by Morris and Co., 1917. STAINED GLASS: in nave, aisles and chancel: chancel east window of 1910: Christ in Majesty with St Michael, Powell and Company. North aisle: the west and northwest windows by Morris and Company, 1901 and 1914; Kempe window towards the east as memorial to Boer War; eastern window in style of Kempe, and central window c1870 in pictorial style, unsigned. West nave window: a memorial to Queen Victoria, depicted enthroned in the centre with angels bearing texts each side - Powell. West window of south aisle: the Agony in the Garden, no date, possibly Morris and Co.

Listing NGR: SJ9179773706

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SJ 91797 73706

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Sep-2014 at 12:34:07.