List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHRIST CHURCH

List entry Number: 1206916

Location

CHRIST CHURCH, GREAT KING STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
Cheshire EastUnitary Authority

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 14-Apr-1949

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 390991

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

MACCLESFIELD

SJ9173NW GREAT KING STREET 886-1/9/88 (South side) 14/04/49 Christ Church

GV II*

Church, now maintained by the Redundant Churches Fund. 1775. Brick with stone dressings. High west tower, galleried nave expressed as 2 storeys externally, and shallow chancel. EXTERIOR: high projecting 4-stage west tower with west door in round-arched Gibbs surround. Elliptical head to window above, blind window and clock in second stage, paired ogee bell chamber lights in upper stage. Embattled parapet above cornice. North elevation has central entrance in advanced pedimented bay. Rusticated stone to this feature, with pedimented Ionic doorcase and acroteria over the pediment. 3 windows each side of the entrance on each level, each with elliptical head and interlace glazing, in moulded stone architrave. South elevation has 7 similar windows to each level. Shallow chancel has Palladian east window, with doorway each side. Round-arched doorcases to 6-panelled doors with lunettes over. High parapet over cornice throughout. Stone plinth and quoins. INTERIOR: continuous raking gallery curved around north, west and south, with panelled parapet, and carried on squared columns, possibly iron encased in timber. Organ on west gallery. Plain plaster panelling to coved ceiling. East window in enriched Ionic architrave, with stained glass dated 1854. Late C18 emblematic stained glass, and late C19 and early C20 pictorial stained glass in north aisle. Stairs to gallery in lobbies each side to east. FITTINGS: box pews. Small marble font, a scalloped basin carried on baluster pedestal, with wooden moulded lid, similar in style to that in Church of St Michael (qv). MEMORIALS: series of stone wall memorials, including memorial to Charles Roe by Bacon, signed and dated 1784. Black and white marble, with inscribed tablet surmounted by obelisk against which a figure in low relief carries a bust of Roe, and representations of the church which he endowed, his silk mill and copper works.

Listing NGR: SJ9139673528

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SJ 91396 73528

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 01-Nov-2014 at 08:23:49.