List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: No name for this Entry

List entry Number: 1206596

Location

159-163, DUKE STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
LiverpoolMetropolitan Authority

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 29-Mar-1982

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 214035

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SJ 3589 NW DUKE STREET L1

56/397 Nos. 159-163 (odd)

29.3.82 G.V. II*

1765. Three houses, part of an interrupted terrace with Nos. 169-175 Duke Street. Brick. Slate roofs. Three storeys with basements and attics. Each house pedimented with stone cornice.

No. 159. Two bays, but destroyed ground floor probably had three. Windows with sills and wedge lintels with keystones. Sashed with all glazing bars. Small Venetian window in pediment, side lights bricked up. Return facade to Colquitt Street of three bays with one added later to left hand side. Two small chimneys. Central round-headed recesses on each floor; those on upper floors, except right hand bay, enclose small wooden framed Venetian windows, all with modern glazing. The added bay has blank window to ground floor, double sash with all glazing bars first floor, and modern glazing to a similar opening on second floor. Interior: Venetian window in staircase with colonnettes on mullions.

No. 161. Differs only slightly from the preceding, having three windows on the second floor. Ground floor with two windows, sashed without glazing bars. To left hand side stone doorcase of rusticated Doric pilasters, entablature and pediment. Modern door. Basement has two boarded-up openings with lintel band. Six stone steps to door with iron railing to right hand side. Interior. Elliptical arch between hallway and staircase, with keystone, partly blocked. Staircase with open string, columnar newel and some turned balusters.

No. 163. Similar to No. 159, of three bays to ground floor and two above, separated by a moulded first floor sill band. Ground floor plastered, with modern glazing. Six panel door to right hand side between flanking pilasters, the remains of a doorcase. Five stone steps to door and C19 railings. One ridge chimney. Interior. Hallway with timber Ionic cornice. Round arch through to staircase, with fluted Doric pilasters. Four- flight open-string stair and top landing with ramped moulded handrail, brackets and columnar newels, retaining most of its turned balusters. Other features include a small C18 wooden chimneypiece and a Venetian window at rear.

Shown on a plan by Eyes of 1765 when very new, these houses are now the oldest in central Liverpool.

Listing NGR: SJ3507689763

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SJ 35076 89763

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Sep-2014 at 05:03:06.