List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MARY MAGDALENE

List entry Number: 1206521

Location

CHURCH OF ST MARY MAGDALENE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
NorthumberlandUnitary AuthorityMitford

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 20-Oct-1969

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 238936

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

MITFORD MITFORD NZ 1685 9/21 Church of St. Mary Magdalene 20.10.69 GV I

Parish Church. Late C12, remodelled C13 (perhaps after village was burnt by King John in 1216), transepts C14. Restoration, rebuilding of south aisle and addition of west tower, clerestorey and porch, by R.J. Johnson of Newcastle 1874-5. Medieval parts squared stone, C19 parts ashlar; red tile roofs. Nave with west tower, 4-bay south aisle, south porch and transepts; chancel with north organ chamber.

Tower has octagonal south-west stair turret with loop lights and pyramidal cap. Chamfered set-back below belfry; sill and parapet strings. Y-tracery west window, small 2-light windows above; 2-light bell openings under circular sound holes. Octagonal stone broach spire with gabled lucarnes. Nave: south aisle wall shows stepped angle buttresses and sill string. Projecting south-west porch has double-chamfered arch. Single and paired lancets in aisle and clerestorey. Chevron-moulded string above aisle roof is largely C19; at east end the remains of an attached angle shaft. North nave wall has C13 masonry, 3 lancets and blocked square-headed door under relieving arch; C19 chamfered string and lancet clerestorey. Low transepts, each with gable-end window of 2 trefoiled ogee lights; the southern has Mitford arms (3 moles dormant) above and between lights. Chancel south wall 6 bays: double plinth, strings and chamfered eaves cornice. C12 priest's door in 4th bay, perhaps re-set, has arch of 2 enriched orders, the outer on shafts with scalloped caps. Lancet windows with chamfered hood and low-side window with pointed head. East end triple lancets with C19 vesica above. 2 lancets on north, the western C19, flank a section of wall bearing traces of earlier sacristy. High-pitched roofs. Coped gables with finial crosses. Openwork ridge on nave.

Interior: C12 south arcade of 4 round moulded arches on round piers with scalloped capitals and bases with broad angle spurs; semi-octagonal responds (western C19). Similar arch to north transept; foliage-carved west respond capital. South transept has small piscina and shafted jamb of arch to former apse. Triple-chamfered arch to tower with groined vault. C19 chancel arch on earlier moulded responds. Triple sedilia; piscina in square-moulded recess. Eastern lancets have shafted jambs and moulded rear arches; C12 outer shafts and chevron-moulded impost string.

Fittings: Revely monument of 1622 in chancel with wall tablet: '... REST BARTRAM IN THIS HOUSE OF CLAY/REVELEY UNTO THE LATTER DAY', in elaborate surround, above effigy on altar tomb. Romanesque wall monument in south transept to Bertram Osbaldeston Mitford d.1842. Early medieval bell at west end of nave. C17/18 headstone, with crowned death's head, and medieval inscribed slab, in south aisle. C19 fittings include font, openwork pulpit, low chancel screen with wrought-iron gate, richly-carved canopied stalls and organ front, reredos with figures of SS Aidan and Cuthbert, Minton tiles in sanctuary.

Listing NGR: NZ1689785608

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: NZ 16899 85611

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 01-Oct-2014 at 01:00:51.