List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: SANDSTONE WALL ALL ROUND CHURCHYARD, WITH TWO ENTRANCES ON COUNTY ROAD AND ONE ON WALTON VILLAGE

List entry Number: 1206254

Location

SANDSTONE WALL ALL ROUND CHURCHYARD, WITH TWO ENTRANCES ON COUNTY ROAD AND ONE ON WALTON VILLAGE, COUNTY ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
LiverpoolMetropolitan Authority

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 14-Mar-1975

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 213948

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SJ 3594 L4 14/319

COUNTY ROAD Sandstone wall all round churchyard, with two entrances on County Road and one on Walton Village

14.3.75

G.V. II

Wall to churchyard of St. Mary's Church. C19, stone. Extends for 301.5 metres, the section of wall to County Road being later than the other section, probably c.1860. The section of wall to County Road is ashlar, with weathered coping while that to Walton Village is of rubble construction. The 3 entrances have stone piers with 2 tiers of arched panels with weathering between and are gabled on all 4 sides. Iron overthrows with traceried spandrels support Lanterns; that to Walton Village is intact. The wall to Walton Village is interrupted by the Mortuary and Hearse house (q.v.). The wall to County Road incorporates a red granite 'Melly' drinking fountain with an altered backplate (set into wall) and a replacement ashlar pediment inscribed with '1861'. The bronze ornamental head water spout and tap are missing.

HISTORY: The churchyard wall is C19 in date and displays two phases of construction. The Melly fountain facing County Road was erected in 1861 by the Victorian philanthropist Charles Pierre Melly (1829-1888). Melly erected the first free public drinking fountains in England in Liverpool in 1854. The idea was subsequently copied in towns and cities throughout the country, and in Scotland and Ireland. London's first fountain was not erected until five years later in 1859. He was also a promoter of physical fitness and the early Olympic movement in Britain.

SUMMARY OF IMPORTANCE: The churchyard wall surrounding St Mary's Church is of special historic interest as an important component of the ensemble formed by the grade II listed church (formerly the Parish Church of Liverpool), hearse house and mortuary. The Melly drinking fountain is one of the earliest in England and was erected by the Victorian philanthropist Charles Pierre Melly (1829-1888).



Listing NGR: SJ3582794817

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Physick, R - Title: Played in Liverpool: Charting the heritage of a city at play - Date: 2007
  2. Website  Reference - Author: Oxford Dictionary of National Biography - Title: Charles Pierre Melly (1829-1888) - Date: 19/12/2012 - URL: http://www.oxforddnb.com/view/article/55914

National Grid Reference: SJ 35828 94823

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 02-Sep-2014 at 12:36:35.