List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: ROYAL INSTITUTION

List entry Number: 1206238

Location

26, COLQUITT STREET
ROYAL INSTITUTION, COLQUITT STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
LiverpoolMetropolitan AuthorityNon Civil Parish

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 28-Jun-1952

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 213943

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SJ 3589 NW COLQUITT STREET Ll

56/314 Royal Institution 28.6.52 and No. 26

G.V. II House, now the Royal Institution. c.1799 with C19 alterations. Red brick with stone dressings. Main 3-storey 5-bay centre block, central 3 bays break forward. 2-storey 3-bay flanking pavilions, central bay break forward. 1 bay connecting walls, stone basement, flat band over ground floor and 1st floor sill band to 3 central bays. Top cornices and blocking courses to the 3 blocks. Connecting walls have stone niches on sill bands, stone panels over, and top balustrading. All windows have cut brick flat arches and are sashed with glazing bars. Some blind windows to right pavilion. Central projecting Doric porch, the architrave of which bears the inscription "ROYAL INSTITUTION". Entrance to No. 26 has stucco architrave and complete fanlight. Plain iron area railings with 2 lamp standards. Rainwater head on left return of main block bears the date 1800 and lion mask. Interior with some C18 and early C19 decorations, mantelpieces etc. Small vaulted entrance hall with double mahogany doors and original semi-circular fanlight. The hall also has panels with the names of the original silver ticket holders of the Institution. Built as residence and office for R. Parr, it became the Royal Institution in 1817.

Listing NGR: SJ3508089813

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SJ3508089813

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Dec-2014 at 04:40:48.