List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

List entry Number: 1206195

Location

CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, VICARAGE LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
StaffordshireNewcastle-under-LymeDistrict AuthorityMadeley

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 17-Nov-1966

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 362677

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SJ 74 SE MADELEY C.P. VICARAGE LANE

5/66 Church of All Saints 17/11/66

GV II

Parish church. C12 core, extensively remodelled C14 and C15, chancel rebuilt in 1872 by Charles Lynam when the whole building was restored. Pink sandstone ashlar, stone slate, plain tile and lead roofs. Nave, chancel, west tower engaged to north and south aisles, north and south transepts, north chancel chapel, south porch and, in space-between north chancel chapel and transept, an organ chamber. Tower: probably c.1400, with stepped buttresses and rectangular stair turret at south-west corner; restored embattled parapet with crocketed corner pinnacles and gargoyles beneath, 2-light trefoil-headed openings to belfry; west window with Perpendicular tracery and carved heads as labels; west door under Tudor arch. Nave: partly C12 fabric, but only C15 clerestory with restored tracery and crenellated parapet is visible above later aisles, both of 2 bays, that on north now with Decorated window tracery (renewed c.1870) and that on south Perpendicular, of same build as clerestory; C14 north doorway with double chamfering and hoodmould. Long gabled south porch probably extended in C17 (see straight joint) but south door C15. Both transepts are also C15 with renewed Perpendicular tracery and grotesque heads as labels. Chancel: in 2 bays; 1872 rebuilding of C13 structure in Decorated style, reticulated tracery. North chancel chapel: (now vestry) C15 and in space between it and transept a small organ chamber of 1872. Interior: tall, narrow double-chamfered tower arch with, to the north, a wide, stepped buttress cutting through the west respond of the late C12 north nave arcade, suggesting that there was probably once a section of nave wall to the west and that the present west bay of the north aisle is a C14 addition; the arcade itself is of 4 bays and has octagonal piers with octagonal scalloped capitals (although, as already noted, the north aisle windows are in Decorated style); also of the same build, or a little later, is the former external lancet in the section of C12 wall east of the eastern respond of the arcade, made redundant first by the extension of the aisle to the east in C14 (see the Decorated window in what is now the east wall of the north transept) and then by the construction of the transept itself. That the nave had a clerestory before the construction of this transept is shown by the existence of a 2-light square-headed window (over the easternbay of the north arcade) which is cut externally by the pitch of the north transept roof. In the transept itself are the remains of a piscina in the east wall. The C15 south nave arcade is in 3 bays with octagonal piers and capitals and to the east, after a short section of blank wall, a similar arch of the same build leads to south transept. The wide, pointed double-chamfered chancel arch is early C13; otherwise the chancel is all of 1872, with the south side and piscina on the north. Fittings and furnishings: king post roofs (probably C19) with painted decoration to the nave and transepts and a panelled, painted roof to the chancel (1872); the aisle roofs are medieval, C14 to north and a good panelled, coffered, cambered beam type to the south (C15). Other woodwork includes the screen to the tower gallery (1635), with heavy square balusters, and a C17 pulpit with its richly carved arches filled in with paintings of the symbols of the Evangelists amongst others (1872?); at the east end of the south aisle a restored C15 openwork screen with 12 one-light divisions; in the south transept a small communion table (C17) and in the north chancel chapel an oak chest with the inscription "RSWS/CW/1625". The other most notable features are the octagonal Victorian font and the early C20 marble reredos (next to the blocked rood stair) in the south transept. The stained glass is good throughout; see especially the East window by Clayton and Bell (1872), the Kempe glass in the south transept south and east windows, and in window at the west end of the south aisle, glass by William Morris; only the figure of St Peter is by Morris himself, those of St Philip and Noah are by Ford Madox Brown and the small crucifixion below by Burne-Jones. Monuments: north transept; Randolph Egerton (died 1512) and wife, alabaster tomb-chest with incised figures of husband and wife on top, weepers to the sides within an architectural framework and twisted colonettes to the corners; north chancel chapel; John Crewe Offley (died 1688) an elaborate and large memorial with coat-of-arms and urn to the top; south transept; in the floor brasses to John Egerton (died 1518) and his wife, Elyn; on the east wall, Sir Holland Egerton (died 1730) an elaborate tablet with inscription and three-quarter bust in relief; Elizabeth (died 1705), first wife of Sir John Egerton, tablet with segmental broken " pediment and 2 winged cherubim to the bottom (erected by Sir Holland Egerton). Smaller monuments include a brass wall tablet with a kneeling figure to Robert Hawkins (died 1586) (north aisle) and a simple brass tablet to Charles Shaw (died 1762) (chancel south side). B.O.E., p.200.

Listing NGR: SJ7730144380

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Pevsner, N - Title: The Buildings of England: Staffordshire - Date: 1974 - Page References: 200

National Grid Reference: SJ 77301 44377

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Jul-2014 at 11:19:42.