List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF HOLY TRINITY

List entry Number: 1206149

Location

CHURCH OF HOLY TRINITY, CHURCH ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
LiverpoolMetropolitan Authority

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 28-Jun-1952

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 213908

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SJ 3989 CHURCH ROAD L15

31/283 Church of 28.6.52 Holy Trinity

G.V. II*

Church. Nave and west tower, 1794, J. Hope. Chancel, 1911, Sir C. Reilly. Stone with slate roof. 5-bay nave. Band over ground floor, top cornice and parapet with balustrading over windows. Windows on 2 levels, those to ground floor level are segmental-headed, those to upper level are round-headed. Small-paned fixed glazing. West tower has large obelisk - form buttresses in concrete (probably 1911). West entrance now window, with round window above. Panels with swags and diamond-face clock. Truncated spire. Low porch to north. East end extension similar to rest of Church, has north and south entrances with windows above with architrave, frieze and cornice and lattice-pattern glazing. East end has bowed bay with 3 round-headed windows, and low flanking bays. Interior has west gallery on quatrefoil iron columns. Stucco snags below upper windows (originally galleries to sides). Flat ceiling with central rose. Tower has baptistry with saucer dome and shallow font on round base. Chancel flanked by internal porches with flat pilasters becoming antae above porches. Entrances have pediments and panels supporting urns with organ pipes behind. Apse has panelled pilasters and lattice-pattern vault. Early C19 choir stalls, pulpit and lectern. An unusual and powerful expression of Reilly's idiosyncratic style.

Listing NGR: SJ3920889020

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SJ 39208 89020

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 28-Aug-2014 at 08:08:14.