List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: THE SOUTH EASTERN ELECTRICITY BOARD

List entry Number: 1205528

Location

THE SOUTH EASTERN ELECTRICITY BOARD, GRAND AVENUE
THE SOUTH EASTERN ELECTRICITY BOARD, KINGSWAY
THE SOUTH EASTERN ELECTRICITY BOARD, QUEENS GARDENS

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
The City of Brighton and HoveUnitary Authority

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 31-May-1974

Date of most recent amendment: 02-Nov-1992

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 365535

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

HOVE

TQ2904SW GRAND AVENUE 579-1/22/54 (East side) 31/05/74 The South Eastern Electricity Board (Formerly Listed as: KINGSWAY The South Eastern Electricity Board)

GV II

Hotel and dwellings, now offices. 1871-1874, restored 1981 with large addition. Designed by James Knowles, builder J.T.Chappell, extended by Fitzroy Robinson Miller Bourne & Partners for Seeboard. Yellow stock bricks, quoins, asbestos slate roofs with pyramid roofs to corner towers, overhanging eaves with moulded cornice, tall brick stacks with moulded caps. Italianate style. L-plan facing south, south front: 7-storey tower left, 6-storey right, central block of 5 storeys, 3:15:3 bays; small pediment with heraldic achievement in tympanum covering the central, slightly projecting, 3 bays, C20 plastic sash windows without glazing bars, round-headed windows to upper stage of tower, 3 lowest storeys canted bays, segmental heads to ground floor and second floor windows, continous metal balconies on shaped brackets to first and second floors. Former entrance (now disused) in ninth bay right, panelled door. Left return (west) of 3:3:3 bays with 6-storey tower, fenestration similar to that of main elevation except for tripartite windows in centre bay; abutting C20 addition. Entrance via C20 addition. When first erected the building contained Mr Prince's Hotel in the western part, with the entrance on the site of the present rebuilt S.E.E.B. entrance, and dwellings and a club in the remainder. David Reuben Sassoon lived at No.7 and entertained the Shah of Persia there in 1889. Over the years Prince's Hotel expanded to include the whole block and down to the Second World War it was one of the finest hotels in Hove. In 1948 it was purchased by the S.E.E.B. who still use it as their headquarters. (Middleton J: Hove in Old Picture Postcards: 1983-).

Listing NGR: TQ2909404389

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Middleton, J - Title: Hove in Old Picture Postcards - Date: 1983

National Grid Reference: TQ 29094 04389

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 03-Sep-2014 at 03:17:19.