List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: RUINS OF CHURCH OF ST ANDREW

List entry Number: 1205384

Location

RUINS OF CHURCH OF ST ANDREW, CHURCH OPE ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
DorsetWeymouth and PortlandDistrict AuthorityPortland

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 16-Jan-1951

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 381920

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

PORTLAND

SY6871 CHURCH OPE ROAD, Easton 969-1/4/28 (South side) 16/01/51 Ruins of Church of St. Andrew

II*

Ruins of former Anglican parish church. C12 lower part part of chancel walls with N respond of chancel arch and S footings of nave; reconstructed with a narrower nave in C14; abandoned mid C18. Rubble with ashlar dressings. Remnants only of walls and the tower base exist; of the tower the N side has chamfered pointed arch and walling to c 3m high, as also W. Some parts of dressed openings to E and S, with 5 plain steps. Nave floor lower than tower. W wall stands to c 4m and c 3m to N. Former S aisle indicated by remains of 3 piers with water-holding bases, and remains of detached shaft with arch from chancel, down 2 steps. The ruins are much overgrown (May 1991); they were also disturbed by a bomb during World War II. Site excavated by J. Merrick Head in 1898. (Royal Commission on Historical Monuments: Dorset: London: 1970-: 249).

Listing NGR: SY6967971106

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Inventory of Dorset, (1970), 249

National Grid Reference: SY 69679 71106

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Nov-2014 at 07:14:35.