List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CALEDONIAN ROAD METHODIST CHURCH AND ATTACHED RAILINGS

List entry Number: 1205354

Location

CALEDONIAN ROAD METHODIST CHURCH AND ATTACHED RAILINGS, CALEDONIAN ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
Greater London AuthorityIslingtonLondon Borough

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 30-Sep-1994

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 368619

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ISLINGTON

TQ3084NE CALEDONIAN ROAD 635-1/44/128 (West side) Caledonian Road Methodist Church and attached railings

GV II

Formerly known as: Primitive Methodist Chapel CALEDONIAN ROAD. Non-conformist Methodist chapel, formerly Primitive Methodist. 1870; restored 1953; internal alterations c.1972. By T & W Stone; William Goodman, builder. Buff brick with stone and red brick decoration especially for alternate voussoirs; projecting eaves to roof, of which materials obscured. Handsome Italianate style chapel of rectangular plan. Two storeys; 4-window range to main elevation, and 5-window range to right-hand return wall in Market Road. Symmetrical facade to Caledonian Road: projecting ground-floor to full-width of front elevation for entrance porch and lobbies to gallery stairs. Central doorway flanked by triple round-arched windows carried on cast-iron columns. Memorial plaques beneath windows. Stone string-course and narrow cornice, parapet with Greek cross motif picked out in red brick. Broken pediment above doorway containing name plaque. Upper storey with round-arched windows with impost strings. Frieze above repeats the Greek cross decoration. Sharply projecting cornice. Window frames of cast-iron and comprise 3 circular lights, arranged vertically (top light opens on alternate windows). Market Road elevation with basement area: ground-floor sashes with segmental heads; upper floor sashes as on main facade. INTERIOR: : marred by addition of walls beneath gallery. Wooden gallery supported on slender cast-iron columns; ornamental cast-iron panels beneath handrail. Original seats. Coved and coffered ceiling, ribs resting on ornamental corbels. C19 organ but installed 1930s. One of the best-designed and best-executed chapels in Islington. (Survey of Nonconformist chapels and places of worship: Temple, P: Islington Chapels: London: 1989-: CALEDONIAN ROAD,N7).

Listing NGR: TQ3057684760

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Temple, P, 'Survey of Nonconformist Churches and Chapels in Greater London' in Islington Chapels London, (1989)

National Grid Reference: TQ 30576 84760

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Oct-2014 at 10:26:37.