List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: THE COLLEGE INCLUDING FORMER KITCHEN TO SOUTH WEST

List entry Number: 1205289

Location

THE COLLEGE INCLUDING FORMER KITCHEN TO SOUTH WEST, COLLEGE CLOSE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
SurreyTandridgeDistrict AuthorityLingfield

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 11-Jun-1958

Date of most recent amendment: 25-Apr-1984

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 287414

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TQ 34SE LINGFIELD C.P. COLLEGE CLOSE

9/173 The College including former 11/6/58 Kitchen to south west

GV II*

House. Circa 1700 using some C15 materials and restored in 1973. Brown brick below, alternate bands of fishscale and diamond pattern tile hanging above, Horsham slab main roof laid in diminishing courses, plain tiled roofs to extensions and rear. 2 storeys and attic under central hipped Horsham slab roofed, leaded casement dormer. End ridge stacks on main house with moulded wood string course over ground floor and coved moulded wooden eaves. East front: symmetrical rare survival of 5 wooden mullion and transome 36 pane leaded casements across first floor. Central 6 panel door to ground floor under leaded transome light in architrave surround and flat hood over on moulded brackets. Single storey C20 garage extension to right end. Wings at right angles to rear (west). Former Kitchen to rear south west. One storey,roof partly collapsed with 2 leaded arched casement windows.

Interior: Largely restored; early C18 staircase with turned balusters to balustrade. Built on the site of the Old College founded in 1431 by Reginald, Lord Cobham, for the training of Chaplains, several of whom are buried and commemorated in the Parish Church adjacent to the site.

PEVSNER: Buildings of England, Surrey (1971) p.349.

Listing NGR: TQ3883543778

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Nairn, I Rev. by Cherry, The Buildings of England: Surrey, (1971), 349

National Grid Reference: TQ 38835 43778

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Dec-2014 at 09:20:57.