List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: PARISH CHURCH OF ST MARY AND SAINT GEORGE

List entry Number: 1204963

Location

PARISH CHURCH OF ST MARY AND SAINT GEORGE, CHURCH STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
DerbyshireSouth DerbyshireDistrict Authority

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 14-Oct-1981

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 82571

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

CHURCH STREET 1. 5174 Church Gresley (south side) Parish Church of Saint Mary and Saint George SK 21 NE 3/13

II*

2. Parish church, incorporating part of nave of monastic church of small Angustinian Priory founded between 1100 and 1154 by William de Greley. Church in ruinious state when restored in 1786 and again restored and present chancel built in 1872. Coursed stone with slate roof. Much of internal stonework of monastic nave may survive but part of C14 north arcade visibly remains and blocked door at west end of south wall probably led to cloisters. C15 tower, at east end of north aisle, formerly open to choir through lofty arch. Tower crenellated and buttressed. Have has 2 Gothic windows with third above centre door on north side C17, C18 and C19 monuments include alabaster monument at east end of north aisle to Sir Thomas Gresley + 1699 designed by Sir William Wilson. Figure of Sir Thomas, in wig and gown, flanked by 2 children as weepers and surrounded by arms of his ancestors. Wall monument in south aisle to John Alleyne (died 1712) (the Alleynes owned Priory site after 1556). Three Royal coats of arms (2 of reign of George III). Misericord seats in chancel and at rear of nave, thought to have been carved by Artus Quellin, a Flemish craftsman in mid C17. These came from Drakelaw Hall, home of Gresley family but Cox says they may have belonged to church originally. (Cox J.C p 125. Notes on the churches of Derbyshire 1875-79). (Bulmer p 721 Directory of Derbyshire 1895).

Listing NGR: SK2932718108

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Bulmer, T, History Topography and Directory of Derbyshire, (1895)

National Grid Reference: SK 29327 18108

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 26-Nov-2014 at 04:14:35.