List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: TOWER TO CHURCH OF ST JAMES

List entry Number: 1204853

Location

TOWER TO CHURCH OF ST JAMES, CHAPEL GATE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
LincolnshireSouth HollandDistrict AuthoritySutton St. James

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 26-Nov-1987

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 197940

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SUTTON ST. JAMES CHAPEL GATE TF 31 NE (north side) 6/94 Tower to church of St. James (formerly listed as part of church of St. James)

G.V. II*

Church tower. C15, restored 1879 and 1894. Ashlar, red brick, rubble, in the main rendered. Parapet with 2 gargoyles remaining to the south side. Diagonally buttressed, set on a moulded plinth and of 3 stages with bands. Stair turret to the south east. West side with re-set upper part of blocked moulded arched C15 doorway with rectangular hood mould, the spandrels decorated with blind tracery. Quatrefoil frieze each quatrefoil contanining a single shield alternating with stylised flower. Single C15 arched 3 light window over with panel tracery, all lights blocked apart from a portion of one which has a single lozenge lead glazing bar casement. Hood mould and worn label stops. Small rectangular light over. East side with basket arched doorway with plank door. Over is a single lozenge lead glazing bar casement with evidence of former nave roof line above. Over is a single quatrefoil set into a rectangle. South side with single similar quatrefoil. 4 C15 pointed segmental arched bell chamber openings each with 2 arched and cusped lights, the remains of some tracery, hood mould and human head label stops. South opening obscured by single clock face. Stair turret, terminating under the bell chamber stage, has a single rectangular opening, over is a single quatrefoil set into a lozenge with brick relieving arch. Above is a sundial, a single decorative cross arrow loop and finally a single small rectangular opening. The nave was destroyed during the Commonwealth.

Listing NGR: TF3962518388

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TF 39625 18388

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 02-Sep-2014 at 05:52:58.