List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST ANDREW

List entry Number: 1204699

Location

CHURCH OF ST ANDREW, HIGH STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
North LincolnshireUnitary AuthorityWootton

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 06-Nov-1967

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 165941

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

WOOTTON HIGH STREET TA 01 NE (north side, off) 3/34 Church of Saint Andrew 6/11/67 GV I Parish church. C13 arcades. C14-15 tower. Restorations of 1851 included rebuilding new chancel and porch, chancel; top of tower rebuilt 1877; C20 restorations to north aisle. Much weathered ironstone ashlar tower with limestone ashlar parapet; ironstone and limestone ashlar to lower section of south aisle with squared chalk above; squared ironstone and chalk to north aisle with rusticated limestone ashlar to restored sections; limestone rubble, squared chalk and ironstone to porch; coursed limestone rubble to chancel and vestry. Limestone and ironstone ashlar dressings. Slate roofs. West tower, 3-bay aisled nave with south porch, 2-bay chancel with vestry adjoining north side. 3-stage tower: diagonal buttresses, moulded plinth, stair lighting slits to south-west angle, string courses between stages. First stage: restored pointed 2-light window with Perpendicular tracery. Second stage: square openings with pierced quatrefoils to south and west, clockface to south. Pointed belfry openings with pierced roundels over twin lancets. Restored string course with angle gargoyles, coped embattled parapet with crocketed angle pinnacles. Chamfered plinth and sill string course to nave and chancel. South aisle: restored square-headed 2-light trefoiled windows with hood-moulds and original headstops, single- light trefoiled east window and C19 pointed 2-light traceried west window with hood-moulds and re-used headstops. North aisle: restored pointed ovolo-chamfered door; 2 square-headed 2-light windows with restored tracery, pointed 3-light east window with restored intersecting tracery, original hood-mould and headstops, pointed 2-light west window with C19 tracery, hood-mould and original headstops. Chancel: angle buttresses; C19 2-light and restored 3-light traceried windows to south, restored pointed 2-light plate-traceried north window with pierced trefoil in roundel over pair of trefoiled lights, C19 pointed 3-light traceried east window. Porch: chamfered plinth, quoins; restored front with pointed chamfered arch with hood-mould and headstops; restored pointed ovolo-chamfered inner arch with hood-mould and headstops. Interior. Tall pointed double-chamfered tower arch with moulded base and inner order on plain moulded capitals, pointed chamfered door to tower staircase. Arcades of pointed double-chamfered arches (those to south very wide) on octagonal piers with plain moulded capitals and bases, those to south more ornate. C19 double-chamfered chancel arch on filleted responds, pointed arch to pulpit. Trefoiled piscina to south aisle, ogee-headed piscina to north aisle, pointed piscina to nave. Ornate C19 painted carved ashlar pulpit and traceried altar rails. Marble wall tablets in north aisle: to Francis Ellis of 1759, with pilasters, obelisk and winged cherub's head; to Uppleby family of late C18 - early C19 with carved draped urn, winged cherub's head and pediment surmounted by carved arms; to John Uppleby of 1839, with life-sized head profile in relief and pediment with painted arms; to Gifford family of early C19 with carved urn. C19 font and commandment boards at west end of nave. Disused medieval font with plain sub-rectangular bowl on chamfered column and plain base. N Pevsner and J Harris, The Buildings of England: Lincolnshire, 1978, p 430; drawing by C Nattes, 1794, Banks Collection, Lincoln City Library.

Listing NGR: TA0890316169

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Pevsner, N and Harris, J and Antram, N - Title: The Buildings of England: Lincolnshire - Date: 1989 - Page References: 430

National Grid Reference: TA 08904 16172

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 31-Jul-2014 at 08:37:50.