List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: THE OLD VICARAGE,KING EDWARD VI GRAMMAR SCHOOL

List entry Number: 1204583

Location

THE OLD VICARAGE,KING EDWARD VI GRAMMAR SCHOOL, CHURCH STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
WarwickshireStratford-on-AvonDistrict AuthorityStratford-upon-Avon

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 25-Oct-1951

Date of most recent amendment: 04-Apr-1994

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 366200

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

STRATFORD-UPON-AVON

SP2054NW CHURCH STREET 604-1/10/50 (South East side) 25/10/51 The Old Vicarage, King Edward VI Grammar School (Formerly Listed as: CHURCH STREET (East side) King Edward VI Grammar School; The Old Vicarage; The Pedagogue's House)

GV II*

Formerly known as: Guildhall (part) CHURCH STREET. Vicarage, now headmaster's house. 1702 with later alterations. By Francis Smith. Brick; tile roof with brick end stacks. Double-depth plan. Georgian style. 2 storeys with attic; 5-window range. Platt band over ground floor and top cornice. Round-headed entrance to left of centre has doorcase with panelled pilasters and bracketed open pediment, fanlight with radial glazing bars over 6-fielded-panel door. Windows have rubbed brick flat arches over cross-casements, most with leaded glazing; left end has later canted bay window with hipped slate roof and similar smaller 1st-floor bay, 12:16:12-pane sashes to ground floor, 4:16:4-pane sashes to 1st floor; attic has 4 irregularly spaced hipped dormers with 2-light small-paned casements. Rear has 2 gabled wings with stucco, narrow right end under catslide roof has end stack. INTERIOR noted as having some panelling and staircase with turned balusters. Part of the group of buildings used by the King Edward VI Grammar School. (Bearman R: Stratford-upon-Avon: A History of its Streets and Buildings: Nelson: 1988-: 26).

Listing NGR: SP2011354695

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Bearman, R - Title: Stratford Upon Avon A History of its streets and buildings - Date: 1988 - Page References: 26

National Grid Reference: SP 20077 54726

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Sep-2014 at 07:05:03.