List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

List entry Number: 1204277

Location

CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, TAMWORTH ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
DerbyshireErewashDistrict AuthoritySawley

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 22-Oct-1962

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 82227

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

PARISH OF LONG EATON TAMWORTH ROAD SK 43 SE 4/42 SAWLEY (South Side) 22.10.62 CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS GV I

Church. C11, C13 and C14 with C15 clerestory and tower, restored 1889. Rubble and ashlar sandstone with sandstone dressings, deep moulded plinth to tower and moulded sill bands to all except south aisle. Shallow pitched leaded roofs hidden by embattled parapets with ridgeback copings and with coved eaves band to nave and aisles, steeply pitched slate roof with stone coped east gable topped by ridge cross to chancel. West tower, nave with north and south aisles and large chancel, also south porch. Two stage west tower has full height, stepped clasping buttresses to all corners, projecting embattled parapets with ridgeback copings and gargoyles and tall recessed octagonal stone spire above. First stage has a pointed moulded west door and slit windows with moulded surrounds to north and south, also a large circular clockface above to north and a diamond shaped niche, formerly for a clockface to west. Moulded stringcourse above and flat headed 2-light louvred bell openings to all sides with ogee headed lights and pierced spandrels, set in moulded surrounds. Above, the spire has cusped ogee headed lucarnes to four sides. North aisle has full height stepped buttresses between all the openings and to either end. West wall has strange 3-light panel tracery window with pointed top cut off by the parapets. North elevation has three 3-light pointed windows with triple stepped lancets. Between western windows is the north door, mostly renewed but with pointed moulded arch on nook shafts which are now missing, and with stringcourses at impost level and to top of arch with two vertical strings between, also with C19 lantern above. East window to aisle is similar to northern ones. Above there are four C15 flat headed 2-light clerestory windows with cusped double lobe headed lights, set in deeply chamfered surrounds. Chancel to east is built of rubble and has two C13 Y-tracery pointed windows to west and a C16 flat headed 2-light window with cusped semi-circular headed lights to east. East elevation has full height stepped clasping buttresses and central 5-light pointed window with C19 tracery. South chancel elevation has a 3-light C16 window to east, similar to northern window and a cusped headed doorcase with relieving arch above to west. Beyond to west is a C19 Y-tracery window which has a C13 external tomb niche below it. To western end of chancel is a full height C15 chapel with 4-light panel traceried four-centred arched window to front and similar 2-light window to side. South aisle has a 3-light pointed east window with reticulated tracery and three similar windows to south elevation. To either corner of aisle there are low clasping buttresses and between two western windows is the south porch which has a double chamfered doorcase and blocked flat headed 2-light windows to either side. West elevation of aisle has a single lancet and above there are four C15 clerestory windows similar to those to north. Interior has a wide nave with late C13 arcade to north and south of tall double chamfered pointed arches on octagonal piers with moulded capitals and bases, except eastern responds which are three clustered shafts. Simple Cll semi-circular headed chancel arch with moulded impost band and small C15 pointed doorcase into the tower. Chancel roof is C19 but nave and aisle roofs are C15, although all have been considerably restored. Nave has central carved bosses to tie beams. Chancel has the unusual feature of a stone screen to the east end behind the altar, with a simple chamfered pointed doorcase plus studded oak door to north side. In eastern jambs of windows just to west of screen are inserted cusped headed niches with corbels to base, which are probably contemporary with the screen, ie: C13. Below the north window there are two plain alms cupboards with wooden doors and to the base of the southern window is a simple piscina which has a stone drain through the wall. The chancel also has handsome Perp oak screen and choir stalls; screen with panelled base, cusped tracery to open panels above and crenellated top, stalls of similar design with panelled front and backs each with crenellated tops and bench ends with blind cusped panelling. Carved and gilded reredos is early C20. Inserted into one of the southern windows of the chancel is a large C19 organ. The nave has a fine octagonal oak pulpit with pendented tester dated 1636, and some robust oak C16 pews from which C20 copies have been made for the rest of the church. North and south aisles each have pointed cusped piscinas to east ends and each also have parts of another Perp screen of similar design to that in chancel. South aisle has a crude octagonal stone font with wooden cover, of indeterminate date. There are numerous fine monuments including two C15 ones to the Bothe family in the chancel. Against the north wall is the tomb of Roger Bothe who died 1467 which has a base decorated with blind quatrefoils, over which is an ogee headed canopy with crocketed pinnacles. The back wall is panelled and the top of the base has small brasses of Roger Bothe, his wife and their eleven children. Set in the bay-window-like chapel to south side of chancel is the tomb chest of John Bothe who died 1496. This has a full size effigy to top of base which is decorated with blind quatrefoils. The top of the window has a panelled vault with painted shields. Also in the chancel is an early C18 wall memorial to Walter Colette with achievement to top and scull below, and two mid C19 slate and white marble wall memorials. Below the chancel arch is another tomb chest with similar base to the others and a polished marble top with brasses to Robert Bothe and family who died 1478. Adjacent, to north, is an early C19 wall memorial with slate obelisk over marble urn. South aisle has two small brass memorials, one to Edward Edmonson who died 1589, the other c1937. Above there are two early C19 marble wall memorials, and one of c1852 to the Trowell family. Also to west end of aisle is a slate plaque to John Trowell who died 1766. North aisle has two re-set C13 effigies and a stone slab with brasses to Richard Shylton who died 1510. There is also a wall war memorial and an enamelled brass plaque commemorating the restoration of the church in 1889. North and south aisles have late C19 stained glass east windows and the east window to south side of the chancel has similar glass. There is also a c1950 stained glass window in the south aisle and a war memorial stained glass window in the north aisle. In the tower there is a large hatchment dated 1767.

Listing NGR: SK4724631365

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SK 47246 31365

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 02-Oct-2014 at 07:29:18.