List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: GOWER MONUMENT

List entry Number: 1204176

Location

GOWER MONUMENT, BRIDGE FOOT

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
WarwickshireStratford-on-AvonDistrict AuthorityStratford-upon-Avon

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 25-Oct-1951

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 366152

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

STRATFORD-UPON-AVON

SP2054NW BRIDGE FOOT 604-1/10/7 (South side) 25/10/51 Gower Monument

GV II*

Monument. 1876-88. By Lord Ronald Gower, with architects Peignet and Marnez, and 3 French bronze founders. Ashlar with bronze fittings and figures. Round pedestal on square plinth; 4 small plinths to corners of square paving with steps to south. Plinth has projections to angles with bronze Greek masks with pendant foliage and flowers; bronze plaque to east and inscriptions to south and west record history of monument, inscription to north: RONALD GOWER/ TO/ STRATFORD-UPON-AVON. Plinth has panels with inscribed quotations from Shakespeare between pilasters capped by bronze wreaths; figure of Shakespeare deep in thought, seated in casual pose and holding pen and scroll. Corner plinths with figures, originally placed closer to the monument, of Shakespearean characters, clockwise from north west: Prince Hal, Falstaff, Lady Macbeth and Hamlet. The monument originally stood in gardens to south of the Memorial Theatre, and was moved to its present position in 1933; the unveiling ceremony in 1888 was attended by Oscar Wilde. (Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Warwickshire: London: 1966-: 416-7; Bearman R: Stratford-upon-Avon: A History of its Streets and Buildings: Nelson: 1988-: 13-4; Kimberley M: Lord Ronald Gower's Monument to Shakespeare: Stratford-upon-Avon: 1989-).

Listing NGR: SP2044254920

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Bearman, R, Stratford Upon Avon A History of its streets and buildings, (1988), 13-4
Kimberley, M , Ronald Gowers Monument to Shakespeare, (1989)
Pevsner, N, Wedgwood, A, The Buildings of England: Warwickshire, (1966), 416-7

National Grid Reference: SP 20442 54920

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Oct-2014 at 11:13:00.