List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST GEORGE

List entry Number: 1204075

Location

CHURCH OF ST GEORGE, THE GREEN

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
KentTunbridge WellsDistrict AuthorityBenenden

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 02-Jun-1967

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 170226

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BENENDEN TQ8032 THE GREEN 1350-0/7/125 CHURCH OF ST GEORGE 02/06/67 GV II* Parish Church. C14 and C15, damaged after storm of 1672 and restored 1676 and in 1862 by David Brandon. Built of sandstone ashlar, south aisle of sandstone rubble with plain tiled roof. Nave and chancel without a break, north and south chapels, north and south aisles and north and south porches with parvises. West tower of 3 stages. Square with stepped buttresses, octagonal turret with spirelet to south west and crenellated parapet. Double round-headed window to south. West face has double round-headed window to top stage and small rectangular window below. Pointed arched 4 light window with cinque foiled heads and intersecting tracery. Pointed arched door with dripmould and C19 door with decorative iron hinges. Nave and chancel have crenellated parapet and stepped buttresses. Four 3 light cinquefoiled windows with dripmoulds. Large east window with 3 tiers of cinquefoil-headed lights. North porch has round headed arch and parvise with trefoliated lancet windows. Vaulted with 8 ribs and a salamander carving on the boss. South porch has C19 crenellated parapet, offset buttresses, rectangular window and pointed arched doorway. Interior 5 bay nave with octagonal columns and arches. C19 nave roof with 2 tiers of purlins, crenellated tie beams and C19 foliated corbels. C19 octagonal stone font. Coat of Arms of George II over north door. C19 aisle roofs. C19 chancel arch with angel corbels. C19 stained glass windows, octagonal stone font and octagonal stone pulpit on marble piers. North chapel has monument to Sir John Morris of Hempstead (d. 1750) Admiral of the Fleet by P. Scheemakers, a marble beast with obelisk behind, inscription tablet below and family shield and crest. Also standing wall monument to Thomas Hallett Hodges d. 1801, an urn bearing sarcophagus in front of truncated pyramid. (Buildings of England; "West Kent and the Weald":- John Newman: P.147).

Listing NGR: TQ8084032670

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Newman, J - Title: The Buildings of England: West Kent and the Weald - Date: 1980 - Page References: 147

National Grid Reference: TQ 80840 32670

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 31-Jul-2014 at 08:29:35.