List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST ANDREW

List entry Number: 1203949

Location

CHURCH OF ST ANDREW, CHURCH LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
DerbyshireDerbyshire DalesDistrict AuthorityCubley

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 13-Sep-1967

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 81247

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SK 13 NE PARISH OF CUBLEY CHURCH LANE 5/17 (East Side) 13.9.67 Church of St Andrew GV I

Parish church. Mid Cll, C12, C13, late C15 with C17 additions and alterations, restored 1872-4 by J P St Aubyn, also in 1909 when south porch was added. Ashlar,coursed squared and rubble sandstone with stone dressings. Plain tile roof, that to nave with bell canted eaves, and stone coped gables with moulded kneelers, plus eastern ridge crosses to nave and chancel. Western tower, nave of similar width with southern aisle and porch, and chancel. Three stage western, late C15 ashlar tower has deep plinth with moulded copings and full height stepped angle buttresses to all corners. West elevation has elaborately moulded, pointed doorcase with hoodmould and carved spandrels with dagger-like cusped panels surrounding central coats of arms. Above, a moulded stringcourse and a large, deeply recessed 3-light transomed Perp window with hoodmould. To north and south sides of tower at this level are friezes of the Montgomery coat of arms. Also to the south elevation are thin staircase windows. Above to west, is a C19 clockface and to north and south are deeply recessed quatrefoil windows. Above again is a continuous stringcourse and the third stage with cusped Y-tracery, louvred bell openings with hoodmoulds to all sides, that to south displaced to east by staircase. Embattled parapets with ridgeback copings and corner crocketed pinnacles,over. North nave elevation has rubble stonework with herringbone patterns to base and coursed squared sandstone above. Two C17 large 2-light recessed and chamfered mullioned and transomed windows with leaded lights flank a large stepped buttress. To east, chancel of coursed squared sandstone with crude plinth and two stepped buttresses with two thin chamfered C13 lancets between on north wall. East window is a squat 5-light intersecting tracery window with corner buttresses to either side. South chancel wall has three chamfered lancets, that to east C19, the others C13. Between western two is a C13 pointed doorcase with hoodmould. To west the south ave aisle has C17 2-light recessed and chamfered mullioned and transomed east window and two similar windows to south with stepped buttresses to either end. Above is a moulded stringcourse and low parapets with ridgeback copings. To west stands south porch with circular mouchette-traceried side windows and a cusped ogee headed doorcase. Inner doorcase is C13 with plain pointed arch, moulded imposts, chamfered jambs, and hoodmould. Interior has late C12 three bay south arcade with double semi-circular arches on plain columns with moulded capital to east and simple volute capital to west. Westernmost arch rests on moulded capital over carved corbel head and easternmost one on a polygonal respond. Above, three semi-circular headed, deeply splayed clerestory openings and circular windows, only the central one remaining unblocked. Plain band below to south side. C13 pointed, chamfered chancel arch on semi-circular responds with moulded capitals carved with crude heads. Tall C15 tower arch has double chamfered pointed arch and hoodmould on two thin attached shafts with ovolo moulding between and moulded capitals. C19 roofs, pulpit and bench pews. Carved wooden rood screen across chancel arch by S T Nash and an art nouveau ironwork screen of c1914 across tower arch, commemorating the dead of the First World War. Several fine monuments, in the chancel is an alabaster tomb chest to Sir Nicholas Montgomery, who died 1494, with the figure of an armoured knight with his feet on a lion to the top, and angels. holding shields to the sides. Also, on the south wall of the chancel, is another alabaster tomb chest, set in a moulded four-centred arched niche with crocketed pinnacles to the sides. The effigy has been lost but the sides have finely carved weepers under double ogee arches with crocketed tops. This tomb has been ascribed to Harper and Moorecook of Burton, c1500. A similar niche,without a tomb,is placed against the south wall of the south aisle. Also in the south east corner of the chancel is a very worn stone slab carved with the figure of a woman, placed on the floor, probably late C15. Fragments of medieval glass survived in most of the chancel windows, except for the east window which has stained glass, of 1874. Fragments of painted decoration also survive over the chancel arch and the east arch of the nave arcade. A C12 circular font stands in the nave aisle and there are two C19 commandment plaques on the nave north wall.

Listing NGR: SK1649137693

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SK 16493 37692

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 02-Oct-2014 at 01:20:59.