List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

List entry Number: 1203836

Location

CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, UPPER STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
KentMaidstoneDistrict AuthorityHollingbourne

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 26-Apr-1968

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 174408

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

HOLLINGBOURNE UPPER STREET TQ 85 NW (West Side)

1/180 Church of All Saints 26.4.68

GV I

Parish church. C14, C15 and circa 1638, altered 1869. Restored 1876 by G.G. Scott Jun. South vestry 1903 by W.D. Caroe. Flint and stone. North chapel ashlared stone with band of flint and stone flushwork above and below string. Plain tile roofs., West tower, nave, south aisle, south vestry, chancel, north chapel built over vault, north aisle, north porch. West Tower: No plinth, no buttresses. 3 stages, with battlements above moulded, gargoyled string. 2-light belfry windows with cinquefoil-headed lights and squared hoodmould. Similar single light towards base of each side of central stage, and one to bottom stage, above door. 2-centred arched moulded west doorway with carved heads as label stops. South aisle: early C14. Moulded stone plinth. South-west angle buttress. 3-light C14 west window with mouchettes, and hoodmould with carved heads as label stops. Three 2-centred arched traceried 3-light south windows with hoodmoulds, alternating with buttresses. South vestry: moulded stone plinth. Moulded string to eaves. Flushwork parapet with moulded coping stepped up at corners. 2 small octagonal stone flues to south-west corner. 2-light south window and low 2-centred arched east doorway. Chancel: late C14. No plinth. 2-light south window with hoodmould. 3-light east window with cinquefoil-headed lights, polygonal tracery, and hoodmould. North window as south. North chapel: moulded ashlared plinth. Battlemented parapet above moulded string. 3-light segmental-headed east window with stepped hollow-chamfered pointed arched lights. North aisle: later C14. No plinth. 2 buttresses. Two 3-light traceried windows to east and one to west of north porch, the easternmost incorporating broad trefoil-headed panel; all with hoodmoulds. North porch: flint plinth with moulded stone coping. Buttresses flanking entrance. Trefoil-headed side lights. 2-centred arched moulded stone outer doorway, hoodmould formerly with carved label stops. 2-centred arched inner doorway with different moulding. Interior: structure: 3 bay nave arcade to north and south, of doubly hollow-chamfered pointed arches. Octagonal columns with moulded capitals and bases, those to north different and probably later C14. No chancel arch or tower arch. Soffits of westernmost chancel rafters plastered to form canted arch. Low pointed-arched doorway to tower with broad hollow chamfer and moulded hoodmould. Access to north chapel up 4 steps from east end of north aisle only; round-headed archway cut through a former window. North-west chancel window blocked by chapel. East window of south aisle blocked by vestry; traceried as westernmost window of north aisle. North-east corner of north aisle raised up 2 steps over vault, but lower than floor of north chapel. Roof: 3 moulded octagonal crown posts to nave, on doubly-hollow-chamfered tie-beams. Sous-laces and ashlar pieces. Hollow-chamfered cornice. Truss removed from east end of nave. Chancel roof of common rafters, with collars, sous-laces and long ashlar-pieces, hollow- chamfered cornice and 2 hollow-chamfered tie-beams. Flat plastered ceiling to north chapel. Lean-to roofs to aisles with hollow-chamfered aligned butt purlins, tie-beams and cornices. Fittings: no piscinae visible. Octagonal stone font with moulded octagonal stem , on octagonal plinth, attached to south side of south-west nave column. Early C16 crocketed ogee wooden font cover with hoist. Hexagonal C17 pulpit. C17 wrought iron gates to north chapel. Box pew in north-east corner of north aisle granted to Baldwin Duppa 1737. Pews by G.G. Scott Jun. Two hatchments to north-east corner of north aisle. Decoration: C17 Culpeper arms in east window of north chapel. Deeply coloured stained glass in north-west window of north aisle and east window of chancel, date of death 1873. North chapel has moulded stone dado rail. and moulded and inscribed stone cornice at impost level of window, with numerous small raised shields to wall between them, all but 5 blank. Monuments: tablet on south wall of south aisle, to Samuel Plummer, d.1705. Black and white marble with moulded plinth, flanking pilasters, cornice, and scrolled pediment with shield. Tablet on south wall of south aisle, to Philippa Culpeper, d.1630. Black and white alabaster. Convex tablet with cupids heads to base and segmental open-topped pediment with 3 shields. Tablet on south wall of south aisle to the Right Honourable John Lord Colepeper, d.1719, and to Cheny Colepeper, d.l725. Erected after latter's death and signed by Rysbrack Marble. Moulded consoled plinth with heraldic beasts supporting blank shield. Flanking Ionic columns, moulded frieze, and moulded triangular pediment, surmounted by gadrooned urns. Monument on south wall of chancel to Martin Barnham, d.1610, and members of Barnham family. Alabaster. 2 recessed coffered arches sheltering 2 kneeling couples, flanked by composite columns. Moulded cornice with short terminal obelisks and 3 shields. Children carved in relief below arches, with inscribed panel below them. Standing monument to Francis Culpeper, d.1591, and Johanna, d.1597. Stone chest tomb with moulded plinth, corniced lid and blank shields. Surmounted by 2 free-standing Corinthian columns, flanking inscription and bearing moulded frieze and cornice. Terminal obelisks and plain shield. Columns, frieze and borders of inscription covered with finely-carved damask pattern in low relief. Monument on north wall of chancel to John, Lord Culpeper, d.1660. Erected 1695. Inscribed panel flanked by foliated scrolls. Moulded plinth and cornice and open-tapped segmental pediment with shield. Further panel below plinth bearing copy of Patent of Honour. Monument to Dame Grace Gethin, d.1697 on north wall of chancel. Black and white marble. Kneeling woman flanked by standing angels and cupid's head, framed by Ionic columns, on consoled plinth with shields. Inscribed convex panel between consoles and above figures. All surmounted by reclining mourners, shield, urn and scrolled pediment. Said to be second, similar, monument to her in Westminster Abbey. Tablet on north wall of north aisle, to Baldwin Duppa, d.1737. Erected 1738 and signed by Rysbrack Marble, on moulded, consoled plinth. Inscription flanked by inverted scrolls and youthful heads. Egg and dart cornice surmounted by gadrooned urn on a plinth. Similar tablet on east wall of north aisle, to Baldwin Duppa, d.1764, signed by Rysbrack Free- standing chest tomb in centre of north chapel, to Elizabeth Culpeper, d.1638. Signed by Edward Marshall. Chest tomb in black and white marble, with moulded plinth, pilasters and shields. Cartouche to each end. Reclining white marble effigy of woman with heraldic beast beneath feet. Chancel probably rebuilt after earthquake of.1382. [J. Newman, D.O.E. Series, North East and East Kent, 1976. Allen Grove, Hollingbourne Church and Village, n.d.)

Listing NGR: TQ8436155282

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Grove, A - Title: Hollingbourne Church and Village
  2. Book  Reference - Author: Newman, J - Title: The Buildings of England: North East and East Kent - Date: 1976

National Grid Reference: TQ 84336 55085

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 01-Aug-2014 at 11:31:25.