List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST PETER

List entry Number: 1203819

Location

CHURCH OF ST PETER, HARPERS LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
LancashireChorleyDistrict Authority

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 21-Feb-1984

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 357563

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SD 51 NE CHORLEY HARPERS LANE



5/47 Church of St. Peter - - II

Church, 1849-50, by Charles Reed; subsequently enlarged. Yellow sandstone snecked rubble with gritstone plinth and dressings, slate roof with red ridging tiles. Nave with north west belfry turret, transepts, and chancel. Early English style: steeply pitched roofs, lancet windows. Gableted west doorway of three orders; from eaves of this gablet a moulded band carries round the whole building, stepping down to sill level of aisles; west front has a second band (broken by the gablet) from which rise 2 tall lancets which have hoodmoulds with foliated stops; above these a vesica window with an inner band of dogtoothing. At north west corner is a polygonal 4-stage stair turret surmounted by an octagonal belfry terminating in a short spire with steep gablets above the openings. Buttressed aisles of 5 bays, most with coupled lancets; but 2nd bay on north side has steeply gabled porch resembling west doorway. Clerestory of 6 cusped single-light windows. Transepts (1910) are rock-faced, have low angle-buttresses and 3 stepped lancets. East window of 3 stepped lights (the centre very high), all enclosed by a detached hoodmould. Interior: 5 bay nave arcade of alternately cylindrical and octagonal columns with moulded caps; arch-braced kingpost nave and chancel roofs, scissor-braced transept roofs; windows of north transept contain C15/C16 French and Flemish stained glass (given in 1937).

Listing NGR: SD5889318422

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SD 58893 18422

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Nov-2014 at 08:21:04.