List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: FORMER WEEDON BARRACKS, STOREHOUSE NUMBER 7

List entry Number: 1203504

Location

FORMER WEEDON BARRACKS, STOREHOUSE NUMBER 7, BRIDGE STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
NorthamptonshireDaventryDistrict AuthorityWeedon Bec

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 29-Apr-1987

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 360827

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

WEEDEN BEC

1732/16/181 BRIDGE STREET 29-APR-87 LOWER WEEDON (West side) FORMER WEEDON BARRACKS, STOREHOUSE NUM BER 7

GV II* Warehouse. 1804-10, and one of an odd-numbered group to the north of the canal. Converted into military prison in 1844/5, when wing to west end added, and with later additions. Flemish bond red brick with gauged brick dressings to arches, hipped corrugated asbestos roof replacing M-shaped Welsh roof. Rectangular plan with central vestibule with stairs opening into flanking storerooms. 2 storeys, 11-window range to south elevation facing canal. Central doors with 12-panel double-leaf doors flanked by stone pilasters supporting Doric entablature with cambered arches over tripartite sash windows above. Similar wider blocked doorways either end, with similar windows above. Semi-circular arched ground-floor windows, set in semi-circular arched recesses. Refenestrated in 1930s with small-paned cast-iron casements with centre-hung lights. Centre and ends project slightly. Plinth and first-floor string course. Rear refenestrated in 1930s with small-paned cast-iron casements with centre-hung lights. Single-storey addition to west of the mid/late 1840s, originally with two parallel ranges gabled north-south; south elevation has parapet concealing gables and gauged brick arches over horned sash windows, with some late C19 and early C20 extension. Single-storey range to east added 1899-1911 as a Painters' Shop, presenting a south-facing gable end with round windows over two tall semi-circular arched windows; Welsh slate roof with cowled vents. Interior: reroofed (with steel trusses) and refloored (in ferroconcrete) in 1930s.

Part of a unique planned military-industrial complex, complete with its own defensible transport system and surrounding walls. For full details see description of Storehouse No 2.



Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SP 62608 59586

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Dec-2014 at 10:44:43.