List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST LAWRENCE

List entry Number: 1203352

Location

CHURCH OF ST LAWRENCE, CHURCH STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
NorthamptonshireDaventryDistrict AuthorityLong Buckby

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 18-Jan-1968

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 361096

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

LONG BUCKBY CHURCH STREET (North side) SP66NW Church of St. Lawrence 6/204 18/01/68 GV II*

Church. Medieval. Restored 1862 by G.G. Scott and 1883-7 by W. Bassett-Smith when aisles of 1774 were gothicised. Coursed ironstone rubble and ashlar. Chancel, nave, aisles extending over first bay of chancel, north and south, south porch, west tower. Chancel has 3-light Decorated windows to east end and north and south sides with C19 tracery. Blocked round-headed door at east end of south aisle. Nave has clerestory with C19 circular windows. Stone dated 1774 below second window from west end of north aisle. C18 lead rainwater heads and pipes. C19 south porch. Leaded roofs behind plain parapets. 3-stage battlemented west tower has shallow offset buttresses separated by shafts. Pointed arch top frieze, corner gargoyles. Small lancet window to south side of middle stage; lancet window to west end of ground floor above blocked doorway. Interior: chancel has piscina with cusped arch and 3 seat sedilia with C19 cusped heads. Double hollow-chamfered arches on north side of west bay of chancel, the inner arch resting on corbels with fleurons, formerly framing tomb, of which cut-off end survives on east side. Blocked window above. Double chamfered arch in corresponding bay on south side, the inner arch resting on polygonal responds, blocked square window above. Double-chamfered chancel arch, inner arch resting on polygonal responds. Nave arcades of four bays with double-chamfered arches on octagonal piers. East window by Evans Bros. of Shrewsbury commemorating Shropshire vicar d.1858. Parish chest. Monument to Cilena l'Anson Bradley, d.1726 aged 12 years: bust in square niche with draped round arch head supported on pilasters, draped apron with inscription and fringed edge, signed John Hunt, Northampton on base of bust - in north choir vestry. Other late C18 and early C19 wall monuments. (Buildings of England: Northamptonshire, p.296; Whellans' Directory of Northamptonshire, 1874; Kelly's Directory of Northamptonshire, 1890).

Listing NGR: SP6272467744

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Directory of Northamptonshire, (1874)
Pevsner, N, Cherry, B, The Buildings of England: Northamptonshire, (1973)
'Kellys Directory' in Northamptonshire, (1890)

National Grid Reference: SP 62724 67744

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Nov-2014 at 04:45:20.