List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: OLD HIGHER LIGHTHOUSE WITH BOUNDARY WALLS

List entry Number: 1203104

Location

OLD HIGHER LIGHTHOUSE WITH BOUNDARY WALLS, PORTLAND BILL ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
DorsetWeymouth and PortlandDistrict AuthorityPortland

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 21-Sep-1978

Date of most recent amendment: 17-May-1993

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 381999

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

PORTLAND

SY67NE PORTLAND BILL ROAD, Portland Bill 969-1/1/163 (North West side) 21/09/78 Old Higher Lighthouse with boundary walls (Formerly Listed as: PORTLAND BILL ROAD OLD HIGHER LIGHTHOUSE(BRANSCOMBE LODGE)STABLE BUILDINGS TO W & ENCLOSURE WALL)

II

Former lighthouse, now dwelling. 1869. Rendered and painted, slate roofs. A low circular tower linked by short corridors to east and south to identical domestic blocks, formerly coastguard accommodation. The whole set on simple plinth; tower has cylindrical shaft to heavy moulded cornice carrying lofty late C20 wood and glass lantern set to a balcony with 15-bay cast-iron balustrade to heavy moulded posts and three plain rails; various openings, 2-light casements set in deep reveals to cambered raised lintels and plain cills. The Trinity House badge set in on north-west face at first-floor level. Short pitched-roof passages connect to dwelling units in one storey with 12-pane sashes throughout to heavy stooled cills. Hipped roofs to central valley, on box eaves; large paired stacks to each ridge (four stacks in all) to bases and stepped conjoined cappings. These, and the dwelling blocks all with stopped chamfer corners, and each unit has a swept-down addition containing door; porch and C20 door to north-south passage. Interior of tower retains the heavy rivetted ring beam with radials at first and second-floor levels, also stone stair with iron balustrade following curve, ground to first floor, and a tighter spiral in slate treads to the lantern. Much of the joinery and other fitting within appears to be original or carefully restored. Subsidiary Features: all enclosed in rubble stone wall to half-round oversailing coping; pair of square piers to pyramidal cappings on SW corner opposite former paraffin store, transformed in the C20 into studio dwelling. The stable building referred to in the previous list demolished 1990. The first lighthouse on the site dated from 1716, replaced by current structure in 1869, and taken out of service in 1905 with the opening of the new Lighthouse (qv); at that time it was sold for ยป405 (in 1907). Occupied as a holiday home for about 30 years by Dr. Marie Stopes (see Portland Museum, Wakeham), the building became derelict, but has been rescued and fully restored in the 1980's. Thomas Hardy is reputed to have been a visitor in the early C20. (Royal Commission on Historical Monuments: Dorset: London: 1970-: 253).

Listing NGR: SY6774069268

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Title: Inventory of Dorset - Date: 1970 - Page References: 253

National Grid Reference: SY 67740 69268

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 31-Jul-2014 at 08:25:38.