List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: VILLAGE HALL

List entry Number: 1202073

Location

VILLAGE HALL, CHURCH LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
City of BristolUnitary Authority

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 20-Mar-1974

Date of most recent amendment: 30-Dec-1994

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 379157

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BRISTOL

ST5678NW CHURCH LANE, Henbury 901-1/17/1337 (East side) 20/03/74 Village Hall (Formerly Listed as: CHURCH LANE Henbury School)

GV II

School, now village hall. 1830. By Thomas Rickman. Squared, coursed Lias with limestone dressings and slate roof. Central hall with cross-wing at each end. Tudor Revival style. 2 storeys; 3-window range. Central Tudor-arched door in label mould with a ribbed door, beneath a panel inscribed FOUNDED 1624/ BY ANTHONY EDMONDS/ REBUILT 1830; paired lancet left-hand windows in a label mould, and similar single-light windows to the right; above the door is a shallow canted oriel with ogee cinquefoil-headed lights and a crenellated parapet, and a gabled dormer with a small chamfered window; octagonal finials to the corners and to the dormer. INTERIOR: entrance hall and flight of stairs to the right, with a hall behind. HISTORICAL NOTE: the Charity School stood on the site from 1601 until the current building replaced it. (Hallen and Henbury Women's Institute: A Guide to Henbury: Bristol: 1970-: 15).

Listing NGR: ST5631378850

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Title: A Guide to Henbury Bristol - Date: 1970 - Page References: 15

National Grid Reference: ST 56313 78850

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 30-Aug-2014 at 03:10:47.