List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST BARTHOLOMEW

List entry Number: 1201886

Location

CHURCH OF ST BARTHOLOMEW, VICARAGE ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
City of WolverhamptonMetropolitan Authority

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 03-Feb-1977

Date of most recent amendment: 31-Mar-1992

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 378614

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

WOLVERHAMPTON

SO89NE VICARAGE ROAD, Penn 895-1/4/344 (East side) 03/02/77 Church of St Bartholomew (Formerly Listed as: VICARAGE ROAD, Upper Penn Church of St Bartholomew)

GV II*

Church. C14 north arcade with C15 west part; C15 tower, encased 1765; north west annexe, 1826; south aisle, 1845, by W.Evans; east bay of south aisle, chancel, north organ loft and south vestry, 1871, by E.G.Paley. Ashlar with brick to tower and annexe; tile roofs, with cresting to east parts, coped gables. Chancel has gable cross, 5-light east window with intersecting tracery, hood with headstops, large offset angle buttresses, 2-light north window; gabled organ loft has plaque with Latin inscription giving architect as J.Lavender; chapel has 3-light east window with intersecting tracery and 2-light south window, large offset buttresses; gabled vestry has 2-light window and diagonal buttresses. Gabled 5-bay north aisle of dressed squared stone has C19 lancets with splayed reveals, head of blocked round-headed window; south aisle has 2-light west window with Decorated tracery, 3 cusped lancets with splayed reveals between offset buttresses to south, cornice; east part has later lancets with headstops to hoods, rainwater head dated: 1871. 4-stage tower has ashlar plinth, platt bands, top stage has impost course, cornice and embattled parapet with pinnacles, quoins; pointed entrance with bolection-moulded architrave, oval panel with label mould above records restoration of 1765, roundel to south; large pointed window with ashlar architrave to 2nd stage; 3rd stage has clock face and inscribed panel, quatrefoils to returns; top stage has pointed louvred bell openings with engrailed aprons and ogee hood. Annexe has rusticated quoins, pointed window with leaded glazing, oval panel above has date: 1826; ashlar north elavation. INTERIOR: arch-braced collar trusses; chancel has arch to organ loft and 3-bay south arcade, niche to north has shelf and arch on enriched corbels, chancel arch on filleted shafts; chapel arch dies into jambs, window to vestry; 5-bay nave arcades on octagonal piers; tower has C15 heavy chamfered beams and joists. Chancel has C19 encaustic tiles copied from Medieval originals found at church, C19 alabaster reredos with mosaic to arcading, chancel rail on wrought-iron grid with scrolled enrichment, similar screen to east bay of chapel arcade, stalls with traceried fronts; chapel has 1897 timber parclose screen with open tracery and brattishing, similar screen to west, reredos with angels to riddel posts; panelled timber pulpit on ashlar base, timber west gallery of 1765, fielded panels on posts with strapwork; C15 octagonal font has roll mouldings on panelled base with squat shaft. Good wall memorials: Eleanor Bradney, d1817, by J.Stephens, relief of Hope; William Pershouse, d1789, panel with concave pediment between urns, flanking drapes, enriched apron; Thomas Bradney, similar to that of Pershouse; John Marsh, d1802, by J.Flaxman, relief figure below double cameo; Ann Bache Sedgwick, no date, relief bust in draped frame. Good stained glass throughout, particularly some possibly by Clayton and Bell to south aisle and 1902 grisaille glass to vestry north window. A church notable for its fine tower and collection of monuments and glass. (The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Staffordshire: London: 1974-: P.323).

Listing NGR: SO8945295281

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Pevsner, N - Title: The Buildings of England: Staffordshire - Date: 1974 - Page References: 323

National Grid Reference: SO 89452 95281

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Aug-2014 at 06:23:00.