List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CATHOLIC CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL

List entry Number: 1201844

Location

CATHOLIC CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL, NORTH STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
City of WolverhamptonMetropolitan Authority

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 16-Jul-1949

Date of most recent amendment: 31-Mar-1992

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 378502

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

WOLVERHAMPTON

SO9198NW NORTH STREET 895-1/11/272 (West side) 16/07/49 Catholic Church of St Peter and St Paul (Formerly Listed as: Roman Catholic Church of St Peter and St Paul)

GV II*

Formerly known as: Catholic Church of St Mary and St John. Catholic church. Sanctuary and transepts part of Giffard House (q.v.) adapted from chapel; nave, 1826-8, by J.Ireland; south chapel and sacristy, 1901, by E. Goldie; north chapel, c1920. Stucco with ashlar dressings, parapeted roof. Greek Revival style influenced by J.Soane. 4-bay nave to west and south chapel to south of Giffard House. (q.v.). Re-entrant 2-storey, 3x3-bay sacristy and south porch; north chapel to north of Giffard House. Nave has paired flat and angle pilasters to angles, entablature and clerestory with pilaster strips and cornice with blocking course; west window with battered architrave, frieze and cornice, small-paned fixed glazing, similar blind window to 2nd bay of south elevation; clerestory has lunettes with archivolts, that to west blind; porch has angle pilasters, entablature and coped parapet with statues of SS Peter and Paul; north elevation has altar with incised cross. South transept has similar treatment, south window has panelled sill and stained glass. Sacristy is similar, with 12-pane horned sashes. Iron area railings and 2 panelled piers. North chapel is plain, of brick with tile roof and skylight, round-headed windows. INTERIOR: flat pilasters with honeysuckle capitals and tunnel vault with coffered ribs between roses, west gallery with organ. 4 paintings of Evangelists in architraves, late C18, Italian School; wall memorial brasses of kneeling figures and large brass to Bishop John Milner (d.1826), probably by Augustus Welby Northmore Pugin. Altar apse has former high altar moved from sanctuary 1989, late C19, multi-coloured marble with tabernacle and throne. Sanctuary has coffered dome with entablature on pendentives and lantern with incised pattern; altar apse. South chapel has dome on Ionic columns with lantern; altar recess has coffered vault, rich sarcophagus altar with wood reredos with twisted pilasters, swan-necked pediment and shell vault; altarpiece moved here, 1901; marble altar rail with wrought-iron gates, from high altar; crucifix in rich wrought-iron setting to west. North chapel has 3-bay Tuscan arcade, tunnel vault and saucer dome to east end which has relief figures; 3 windows have stained glass, probably parts of C14 or C15 Jesse window (or could be early C19 work based on window in St Mary's, Shrewsbury). An important early post-Reformation Catholic church with connections with Bishop Milner, who was an important figure in the era of Catholic emancipation and is buried in the crypt; the interior is one of Ireland's best works. The church forms an integral unit with Giffard House. (The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Staffordshire: London: P.316; Robinson JM: Report on the Church of St Peter and St Paul: 1979-).

Listing NGR: SO9125798890

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Staffordshire, (1974), 316
Robinson, J M , Report on the Church of St Peter and St Paul, (1979)

National Grid Reference: SO 91257 98890

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Nov-2014 at 10:58:24.