List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CENTRAL LIBRARY

List entry Number: 1201811

Location

CENTRAL LIBRARY, GARRICK STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
City of WolverhamptonMetropolitan Authority

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 03-Feb-1977

Date of most recent amendment: 31-Mar-1992

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 378408

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

WOLVERHAMPTON

SO9198SE GARRICK STREET 895-1/14/223 (East side) 03/02/77 Central Library (Formerly Listed as: GARRICK STREET Library)

II*

Public Library. 1900-1902. By H.T.Hare. Brick with yellow terracotta dressings; tile roof. Free Renaissance style. 2 storeys; 7-bay facade to Garrick St, canted 4-bay corner and 3-bay facade to St.George's Parade. Terracotta plinth and top frieze and coped parapet; 1st bay breaks forward with parapeted return, 2nd bay has coped gable with panel to apex. Ground floor has segmental-headed windows with moulded arches, fixed glazing with central arched lights and leaded glazing, between flat banded buttresses; 1st floor has 2-light double-chamfered-mullioned windows, friezes with names of eminent poets and broken pediments with panels; these are laced with strips to round attic windows with keystones; 1st bay has tall window of 2 narrow lights with transom over panel and semi-circular open pediment; entrance with architrave and flanking banding and triple keystone in tympanum; half-glazed door retains letterbox. Pavilion roof has fleche and stack; C20 extension to left returned to Old Hall St. Corner to right has 3-bay centre breaking forward under coped gable with top niche. Banded ground floor has 2 cross-mullioned windows; 1st floor has 3+3+3-light windows with Ionic colonnettes, transom and central pediment, apron panels have Royal arms and flanking town arms; attic has small Venetian window; flanking bays have small paired lights with pediments and top lunettes with battered octagonal cupolas. Top louvre with fleche. 3-bay arcade with giant triple keystones to recessed entrances flanking window. Facade to St.George's Parade as above but 1st floor has central bowed oriel of 4 lights and 2 transoms with flanking lights, segmental gable over, and 2 cross-mullioned windows with name-friezes and segmental pediments. INTERIOR: stair with balustrade and lantern, rooms with Ionic columns; 1st floor has barrel- vaulted room with aisles with balustraded balconies, and room with glazed dome on Ionic columns. A particularly good example of this style. (The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Staffordshire: London: 1974-: P.317).

Listing NGR: SO9161998376

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Pevsner, N - Title: The Buildings of England: Staffordshire - Date: 1974 - Page References: 317

National Grid Reference: SO 91619 98376

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Sep-2014 at 03:17:40.