List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST THOMAS

List entry Number: 1201687

Location

CHURCH OF ST THOMAS, ST THOMAS'S CIRCLE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
OldhamMetropolitan Authority

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 08-Mar-1993

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 388938

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

OLDHAM

SD9104SE ST THOMAS'S CIRCLE 780-1/7/71 Church of St Thomas

GV II

Parish church. 1853-55, with additions of 1868 and 1880-1882. By A.Trimen. Stone, with slate roof. Early English style. West porch added 1905 in Perpendicular style. South door to porch in shallow segmental arch with traceried overlight. Swept angle buttresses with pinnacles and shallow canted bay in west wall, with Perpendicular tracery. 4-light window in West gable above. NW tower and spire. 4-stage tower with angle buttresses. West door with shafts and interlace capitals. Billet moulded hood mould. Traceried panelled door. North window of tower cuts into second stage which is blind to west. Lancet window in third stage then paired bellchamber lights with steep gabled hood mould which cuts through chevron frieze. Shafts support projecting angle stone. Brooch spire with lucarnes. 3-light west window to south aisle, with reticulated tracery. Aisles divided into bays by buttresses, each with triple foiled lancet window. Curved triangular windows to low clerestory above. Paired gables to side chapel and organ chamber with triple foiled lancet windows. Chapel and organ chamber to south, each with 4-light reticulated traceried window. Chapel added 1868, and organ chamber added c1880. 2 wide lancet windows to south of chancel, and 4-light east window with cross finial on gable over. North aisle similar, the north chapel also added c1868. INTERIOR: nave, with arcade of 5 bays to south, 4 to north, the tower occupying the north-west corner. Alternate cylindrical and octagonal shafts carry double chamfered arches. Stilted arched embrasures to clerestory windows over. Arched braced roof trusses with collars and two tiers of wind bracing. Chancel arch with angled responds and stepped arch. Short shafts superimposed on responds carry inner chamfered arch. Slight hood mould carried on small foliate corbels. North and south chapels behind east bay of arcade, with open clerestory lights, of 5-lights to south, and a single light to north. Ornate roof to chancel, of 4 bays with dog tooth moulding to arched braces of scissor braced roof, with cusped wind braces and angels carved at head of wall posts. Emblems of saints painted in panels formed by wind braces. Elaborate open-traceried choir stalls with gilded coats of arms. Altar rails in similar style. Painted panel to reredos, depicting adoration of magi with painted and carved frame, dated 1905. Traceried panels each side containing texts. Ornate traceried pulpit and eagle lectern, forming series with choir stalls and altar. Armorial glass in chancel north and south windows. East window by Capronnier, 1883. Second World war memorial chapel to north, with oak panelling and altar. STAINED GLASS in Renaissance style in north and south chapel windows, possibly by the same artist, 1880-1895. Both are memorials to Radcliffe family of Werneth Park. Stained glass in main west window, c1874. Medieval style, but faded colours and inscription now illegible. North aisle windows by AG Moore of Liverpool, c1930 and 1958, and G.E.R. Smith of London. Stained glass in south aisle by Gustave Hiller of Liverpool, a series dated between 1907 and 1930, and by Heaton Butler and Bayne, 1910. Baptistery to west of south aisle formed in 1909. Square font on squat cylindrical base, with statue of saint holding child. Low relief angels and children on each side of basin. Memorial tablet for First World War at base of tower, a painted wood triptych by Henry A Payne of Amberley, Gloucestershire.

Listing NGR: SD9195004233

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SD 91950 04233

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Oct-2014 at 05:25:48.