List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: TRINITY WITH PALM GROVE UNITED REFORMED CHURCH

List entry Number: 1201621

Location

TRINITY WITH PALM GROVE UNITED REFORMED CHURCH, ALTON ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
WirralMetropolitan Authority

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 10-Aug-1992

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 389091

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BIRKENHEAD

SJ3088 ALTON ROAD, Claughton 789-1/10/183 (West side) Trinity With Palm Grove United Reformed Church

GV II

Presbyterian church. 1865-6. By W. and J.Hay. Coursed and squared rubble with red and yellow ashlar dressings and Welsh slate roof. West tower and spire, nave with aisles, hall complex to east and south. Asymmetrical west front with tower and spire to north. Short paired shafts to door with trefoiled head in moulded archway. Steep lancets each side of door and 5-light Decorated window over. Raking plinth to tower and lancet window with 3 small lancets above in lower stage. Door in north wall in stilted archway giving access to projecting stair turret. Paired bell chamber lights in gables that cut into spire. Angle pinnacles with stepped bases and lucarnes to spire. Full-height canted porch with stilted arched doorway and 3-lancets over to south, the lancet windows to aisles grouped in threes with tall 2-light Decorated windows over. Transepts have triple lancet window each side of central buttress and 4-light Decorated window over. Eastern hall range appears as chancel with lower roof and apsidal east end. Massive gabled porch to hall on north side with short shafts with stiff-leaf capitals. Gable of hall advanced to right, then circular eastern end. Church rooms to south a later addition, rock-faced over brick with canted bay windows each side of central door in projecting case. Interior: nave with aisles, shallow transepts and integral sanctuary. Curved gallery round three sides carried on square section cast-iron columns, and with raked seating. Curved principal roof trusses carried on cast iron columns with foliate capitals from gallery. Timber arched arcade to aisles at upper level, the lean-to aisle roofs cut by dormers over windows. Quadripartite timber vaulting over sanctuary. Plain arch with organ to east of sanctuary with central wood octagonal pulpit with traceried panels. Choir stalls flank the pulpit each side of reading desks and lecturn. Stained glass: Christ with saints and angels in lower window of south transept, and some figures in aisle windows to north and south, dated 1900 and 1898, and in north transept. Upper window of south transept, medieval style narrative scene dated 1881. West window, dated 1891, painterly representation, Suffer the Little Children. North transept window dated 1903.

Listing NGR: SJ3025788216

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SJ 30257 88216

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Oct-2014 at 05:30:10.