List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST SAVIOUR

List entry Number: 1201591

Location

CHURCH OF ST SAVIOUR, BIDSTON ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
WirralMetropolitan Authority

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 28-Mar-1974

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 389123

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BIRKENHEAD

SJ38NW BIDSTON ROAD, Oxton 789-1/4/217 (East side) 28/03/74 Church of St Saviour

GV II*

Parish church. 1889-92. By C.W. Harvey and Pennington and Bridgen. Rock-faced red sandstone with Welsh slate roof. Decorated style. Cruciform plan with nave, crossing tower, transepts and chancel. High 5-light Decorated west window with sill band and hood mould. South door in gabled porch. Lean to aisle with 8 lancet windows, with continuous hood mould. Four 3-light Decorated windows in clerestorey, divided by pilaster buttresses. Two 2-light Decorated windows with rose window over in transept. Small shouldered doorway to vestry to east. Tower rises for 2 stages above the body of the church: angle buttresses terminate as octagons in the upper stage and are capped by pinnacles. Larger octagon in south east corner is stair turret. Paired bell-chamber lights in upper stage, with plate tracery and louvres, divided by pilaster terminating in slender pinnacle. Embattled parapet. Single rose window in east wall of chancel, rebuilt following war damage. North wall similar to south, though interupted by added hall complex. Interior: exposed brick with stone dressings. Nave arcade of 4 bays with single chamfered arches with hood moulds. Clerestorey with moulded brick rere-arches and corbelled cornice. Braced principal trusses carried on stone shafts springing from corbels. Keeled and boarded roof. Passage aisles with longitudinal arches. Intricately carved screen to west by Edward Rae or Edgar Gladstone Heath. Octagonal polished marble font with figures to cardinal points. Light fittings to nave with octagonal open-work lanterns with spirelets and pendants. Chancel screen with integral pulpit and lecturn, said to be by Edward Rae. Intricately worked screen and gates with open Perpendicular style panelling with marquetry work in base and carved traceried canopy over with marquetry inlay and rich foliate frieze. Sounding boards over pulpit and lectern. Choir stalls also inlaid with marquetry on frontals and backs. Vine band over base panels, poppy heads and misericords. Main stalls to south have intricate canopies over. Inscription records that the stalls were designed and carved by Edgar Gladstone Heath, and they are dated 1915. Stone sedilia with piscina in simple trefoil headed arches. East wall with linen-fold panelling. Large tripartite reredos with wings, by G.F. Bodley dated 1907. Gilded wood work incoporating classical and gothic allusions and representing Christ in Majesty and the Nativity, with angels in the wings. Communion rails also richly carved woodwork with small densley textured traceried panels. Wood side altar in transept, with canopied niches containing figures of saints. Stained glass: West window a memorial to George Rae, by Morris and Company, 1902, Faith, Hope, Truth and Prayer, figures on a foliate ground. Figures of saints in aisle and windows. North transept window also by Morris and Company, 1903, saints, prophets and angels. Kempe and Tower glass in south window of chancel. A good church with an exceptional collection of early C20 furnishings. (The Buildings of England: Pevsner N and Hubbard E: Cheshire: Harmondsworth: 1971-).

Listing NGR: SJ3014887790

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Hubbard, E, The Buildings of England: Cheshire, (1971)

National Grid Reference: SJ 30148 87790

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 26-Oct-2014 at 04:27:32.