List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF CHRIST THE KING

List entry Number: 1201589

Location

CHURCH OF CHRIST THE KING, BECKWITH STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
WirralMetropolitan Authority

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 21-Jul-1987

Date of most recent amendment: 10-Aug-1992

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 389120

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BIRKENHEAD

SJ3089 BECKWITH STREET 789-1/7/22 (North side) 28/03/74 Church of Christ the King (Formerly Listed as: BECKWITH STREET Church of St Anne)

GV II

Parish Church. 1846-40. By William Cole, the chancel extended in 1892-3 by Charles Aldridge. Red sandstone ashlar with Welsh slate roof. Decorated style with heavy detailing. West tower and spire, nave with transepts and chancel. West door with ogival hood mould over, and Decorated window above. 3 tiers of blind arcading over, then tall paired bell chamber lights with ogee foliated hood moulds. Fretted tracery to parapet, with flying buttresses to crocketted spire. 2-bay nave and transepts, divided by gabletted buttresses with pinnacles, each bay with 3-light Decorated windows. Embattled parapets. Transept doorways to north and south with windows over in continuous hollow chamfered archway. Statues in canopied niches flank the doorways. Chancel clasped by flanking vestries. Interior now gutted and renewed. (The Buildings of England: Pevsner N and Hubbard E: Cheshire: Harmondsworth: 1971-).

Listing NGR: SJ3112989507

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Hubbard, E, The Buildings of England: Cheshire, (1971)

National Grid Reference: SJ 31129 89507

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 31-Oct-2014 at 07:45:26.