List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: DALE WAREHOUSE

List entry Number: 1200845

Location

DALE WAREHOUSE, DALE STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
ManchesterMetropolitan Authority

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 10-Nov-1972

Date of most recent amendment: 06-Jun-1994

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 388078

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

MANCHESTER

SJ8498SE DALE STREET 698-1/29/94 (East side) 10/11/72 Dale Warehouse (formerly listed as Warehouse of the Rochdale Canal Company)

GV II*

Canal warehouse, including subterranean water-wheel; now store and display rooms. 1806, by William Crossley (dated on keystone of window in north gable), with waterwheel of 1824; altered. Watershot coursed squared sandstone with ashlar dressings and slate roof. Rectangular plan on north-south axis, with shipping holes in rear (east) wall and water-wheel next to south end. Four storeys over a basement, the former front on the west side (now mostly covered by wooden sheds etc) apparently symmetrical, 1:3:1 bays, the centre projected slightly; basement plinth, quoins, bands on 4 levels, moulded cornice, parapet over projected centre; windows with raised sills and plain surrounds (now mostly blocked with brick), and at ground floor of south end a segmental-headed loading doorway with gudgeon of former wall-crane to left. Roof has small skylights, gable chimneys. North gable wall has 3 windows on each floor and Venetian window to attic with lettered keystone (not legible from ground), this and 2 windows immediately below all with original small-paned glazing (others with altered glazing). South gable wall (present entrance front) has central round-headed doorway to raised ground floor, one rectangular window each side, and a full-height round-headed loading slot above the door, with loading doors to each level including attic (but that at 1st floor concealed by signboard), all with wooden sills and the top under a hoist-canopy. Rear has 2 semicircular shipping holes in centre, a round-headed doorway to the left, 4 windows on each floor above, and small gable on roof over left-hand windows. INTERIOR: 2 rows of cast-iron columns with unusual integral struts to long fish-bellied plates carrying timber beams, the lower half of the columns octagonal in section and those on the upper floors with integral flanges for longitudinal shuttering; subterranean wheel-pit parallel to south wall containing 16-foot breast-shot water-wheel (by T.C.Hewes) with hub-mounted gearing and remains of wooden spokes and wrought-iron and wooden buckets, formerly used to drive hoists both in this building and in a former warehouse to the south (via line-shaft through tunnel which mostly survives beneath car-park). (Manchester Region Industrial Archaeology Society: 1989-).

Listing NGR: SJ8469298190

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SJ 84692 98190

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Oct-2014 at 12:17:16.