List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST WILFRID

List entry Number: 1200834

Location

CHURCH OF ST WILFRID, FORD LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
ManchesterMetropolitan Authority

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 25-Feb-1952

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 388133

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

MANCHESTER

SJ8390 FORD LANE, Northenden 698-1/24/775 (South side) 25/02/52 Church of St Wilfrid

GV II*

Parish church. C15 but rebuilt (except for the tower, which was restored) in 1873-76, to designs of J.S.Crowther. Coursed squared sandstone, slate roofs. Perpendicular style. West tower, nave with north and south aisles, chancel with north and south chapels. String courses (etc) variously enriched with carved grotesques, etc. The 3-stage tower with diagonal buttresses, moulded plinth, string-courses and embattled parapet, has a restored 2-centred arched west doorway with moulded surround and ogee hood with crocketed pinnacle, a restored 3-light west window with Perpendicular tracery, and restored 2-light louvred belfry windows. The 5-bay nave has pairs of 2-light windows with Perpendicular tracery, and crocketed corner pinnacles. The aisles are buttressed and have segmental-pointed 3-light windows with hoodmoulds, except in the 2nd bay where the south aisle has a gabled porch with angle-buttresses, a 4-centred arched doorway with shafts and carved spandrels, and a statue in a niche with a tall crocketed pinnacle; and the north aisle has a 2-centred arched doorway. The 2-bay south chapel and 3-bay north chapel, continued from the aisles (large octagonal pinnacles marking the junction), have 3-light windows with Perpendicular tracery; the chancel has a 3-light window on the south side; and at the east end the aisles and chancel have windows of 4, 5 and 5 lights with Perpendicular tracery. Interior: 5-bay aisle arcades of octagonal columns with moulded and embattled caps, and double-chamfered 2-centred arches with linked hoodmoulds which have figured stops; short wall-posts on large corbels in the form of angels holding shields with symbols of the crucifixion; tall chancel arch moulded in 2 orders; 2-bay north and south chancel arcades occupied by re-located screens of 1527 with thin tracery and elaborately carved leaf frieze; hammer-beam roof to chancel; various wall monuments to members of the Tatton and Egerton families including: Robert Tatton (d.1689), aedicule with putti; Mrs Egerton (d.1784), urn with carved flower garland; William Egerton (d.1806), woman lying on sarcophagus; and to Thomas Worthington (d.1856), mourning woman with 3 sarcophagi under weeping willow.

Listing NGR: SJ8324190062

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SJ 83241 90062

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 01-Oct-2014 at 09:14:48.