List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: NEW MILL

List entry Number: 1200821

Location

NEW MILL, JERSEY STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
ManchesterMetropolitan Authority

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 20-Jun-1988

Date of most recent amendment: 06-Jun-1994

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 388214

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

MANCHESTER

SJ8498 JERSEY STREET, Ancoats 698-1/17/871 (South side) 20/06/88 New Mill (Formerly Listed as: JERSEY STREET, Ancoats Mill building, part of Murray's Mill)

GV II*

Cotton spinning mill, now disused. Built in 1804. Red brick in Flemish bond, with slate roof. Cast iron and timber internal structure. 6-storeys, 22 bays, with slightly advanced 6-window range to centre, and 4-window gabled returns. Cambered brick heads to 9-paned windows. Semi-circular stair turret in centre of rear elevation, which also has narrow vent-towers to each side. Detached egine house beyond the stair turret was partly rebuilt in the late C19 or early C20 (a new engine house built early C20 on conversion to rope drive does not survive). Original internal structure comprised cruciform cast iron columns supporting timber beams and joisted floors: these survive on upper storeys, and have been replaced with cylindrical columns and steel beams elsewhere. The mill was built as part of Adam and George Murray's textile works, established on this site in 1798, and expanded to form a courtyard in which 3 spinning mills were linked by warehouse and office blocks around a courtyard and canal basin. Included as a now rare example of early non-fireproof construction, and as an important component of Murray's mills. (Williams, M.: Cotton Mills in Greater Manchester: LONDON: 1992-: 159-162; Greater Manchester Sites and Monuments Record).

Listing NGR: SJ8503298642

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Williams and Farnie - Title: Cotton Mills in Greater Manchester - Date: 1993 - Page References: 159-162

National Grid Reference: SJ 85032 98642

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2012. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100019088.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2012. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Apr-2014 at 07:51:29.