List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: HEATON HALL

List entry Number: 1200809

Location

HEATON HALL, HEATON PARK

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
ManchesterMetropolitan Authority

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 25-Feb-1952

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 388172

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

MANCHESTER

SD80SW HEATON PARK, Crumpsall 698-1/2/624 Heaton Hall 25/02/52

GV I

Country house, now museum and art gallery (etc). Mid C18, remodelled 1772-89 by James Wyatt for Sir Thomas Egerton, enlarged and orangery added c.1823 by Lewis Wyatt. Sandstone ashlar with dressings of Coade stone, hipped slate roofs. Long range on east-west axis, composed of central block linked by colonnaded wings to octagonal pavilions (kitchen to west, library to east), with 1823 additions to north side of wings and pavilions, and orangery continued at east end. Palladian style. One and two storeys with entrance front to north and principal facade to south, both symmetrical. The south facade, entirely by James Wyatt, is composed of a 2-storey 5-bay centre with a prominent 3-window bow, flanked by single-storey 7-bay wings with tall colonnades mounted on steps and linked to slightly higher octagonal single-storey pavilions. The centre block has steps up to the bow flanked by a lion and lioness of cast lead on stone pedestals; giant Ionic semi-columns to the bow and pilasters to the outer bays, a guilloche string-course, plain frieze, cornice and blocking course; its bow has 12- and 9-pane sashed windows, Coade stone panels between floors depicting classical rustic scenes, and a shallow domed lead roof; and each outer bay has a large Venetian window in a blank arch at ground floor, and a 9-pane sash above. The colonnades have fluted friezes enriched with antique ox-skulls (bucrania), and very tall 15-pane windows (those of the left wing now boarded). The pavilions each have pilasters and a frieze like the colonnades, a cornice and high parapet, a large Venetian window in the centre and swagged panels over the windows in the canted side bays. The north front of the main block, 2:3:2 bays, with pedimented centre breaking forwards, 1st-floor sill-band, moulded cornice and blocking course, has a tetrastyle portico mounted on steps, tall 12-pane sashed windows at ground floor, horizontal panels above these, and 9-pane sashed windows at 1st floor; and attached at each side of this are the 1823 additions to the rear of the wings, 2 lower storeys and 7 bays each, with pilasters and sashed windows (differing slightly), and massive clustered chimney stacks. The former orangery to the east, facing south, is a long symmmetrical single-storey range, 3:3:5:3:3 bays, with projected polygonal centre, the ends colonnaded and the rest pilastered with a full-height window in each bay, a moulded cornice and blocking course carried round the whole, and now with a flat roof replacing the original glazed central dome and pitched roofs. INTERIOR: fine original features including entrance hall, staircase hall with imperial staircase and colonnaded landing, saloon, dining room, billiard room, music room, library, and at 1st floor the Cupola Room which has very rare survival of complete Etruscan style decoration; for details, see "Heaton Hall: a Short Account of its History and Architecture", Manchester City Council, 1984. East wing and kitchen derelict and restoration suspended at time of survey, containing some original features, e.g. servants' stairs, fielded panel cupboards in former house-keeper's room, and 2 large segmental-arched fireplaces in opposed walls of kitchen. (Manchester City Council: Heaton Hall: a short account of its History and Architecture: 1984-).

Listing NGR: SD8331904422

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Title: Heaton Hall: A Short Account of its History and Architecture - Date: 1984
  2. Unpublished Title  Reference - Title: Part 18 Greater Manchester - Journal Title: Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England

National Grid Reference: SD 83319 04422

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 03-Sep-2014 at 05:41:36.