List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: PARISH CHURCH OF ST DENYS

List entry Number: 1200786

Location

PARISH CHURCH OF ST DENYS, CHURCH ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
City of LeicesterUnitary Authority

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 05-Jan-1950

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 188620

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SK 60 SW CHURCH ROAD Evington 718/18/29 Parish Church of St Denys 05.01.50

GV II*

Parish church. Late C13, early and mid C14. South porch removed 1840. Restored and chancel rebuilt by H Goddard & Sons 1867. Further restoration, nave and aisles re-roofed by Goddard & Paget 1884. North War Memorial porch added 1919 by Baines & Povis. South vesteries added 1957-58 by Edwards Branson & Edwards.

Rubble stone with ashlar dressings. Shallow lead roofs to nave and aisles, chancel has steep slate roof with decorative ridge tiles. Nave with north and south aisles, west tower with spire, chancel and north porch and south vestries.

Three stage west tower has double chamfered plinth, angle buttresses, battlements and octagonal stone spire with two sets of alternating lucarnes and weather vane. West face has single lancet window with chamfered cill band. Bell stage has single pointed arch bell opening to each face, that to west has 2 inner lancets.

South aisle has plinth, cill band, moulded parapet and buttresses with set-offs. West window and two outer south windows have double chamfered pointed arches and intersecting tracery. Central south doorway, now inner doorway to large vestries added 1957-8.

Chancel, 1867, has moulded corbel table, gabled buttresses and raised coped gables with kneelers and stone finial. South side has pointed and moulded arched priest's doorway and tall lancet to left. East end has pinted arched 4-light window with geometrical tracery, north side has single lancet and projecting gabled organ chamber with 2-light pointed arched window.

North aisle has plinth, cill band, moulded parapet and buttresses with 4-light pointed arched window to east with unusual tracery, above gable finial contains much restored statue of St Denys. South front has 3 pointed arched windows with cusped intersecting tracery. Off-centre projecting ashlar north porch added as War Memorial, 1919. West window has broad pointed arch 4-light window with reticulated tracery.

Nave has 3 clerestorey windows to each side, all flat headed and 2-light with panel tracery.

INTERIOR has triple chamfered tower arch and broad double chamfered chancel arch with responds. 4 arched double chamfered arcades to north and south with compound piers and responds with plain capitals. Elaborate wooden roof to chancel, 1867, supported on wall shaft corbels. Remaining wooden roofs replaced 1884. Wooden fittings including pews, pulpit and choir stalls installed 1884. Stone C12 bowl font with central circular stem and four outer columns raised on two circular steps. Large wooden early C16 chest with iron banding and studding. Monuments include a fine marble wall monument, 1735, to Dr James Sherard MD, topped with a segmental pediment, two further marble wall monuments to Richard and James Vann, local framework knitters. Stained glass includes three windows, 1870, including east chancel window by Lavers, Barraud & Westlake.



Listing NGR: SK6275902766

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SK 62759 02766

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2012. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100019088.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2012. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Apr-2014 at 06:09:34.