List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: LIME TREE HOUSE

List entry Number: 1199929

Location

LIME TREE HOUSE, HIGH STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
OxfordshireVale of White HorseDistrict AuthorityHarwell

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 24-Nov-1966

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 249986

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

HARWELL HIGH STREET SU4989 (West side) 9/123 Lime Tree House 24/11/66 GV II*

House. c.1250 origins; remodelling of c1300; cross-wing to left of c.1360; C17 front, with early C19 alterations. Painted brick plinth; roughcast, probably on timber-framing; old plain-tile roof; brick end stack to right. 2-storey, 3-window range. 6-panel door to centre with wood reeded surround and open wood-trellis porch. Two 12-pane unhorned sashes with wood reeded surrounds and cornices to ground floor right. Single 12-pane unhorned sash with wood reeded surround and cornice to left. Three 3-light wood casements to first floor with wood cornices, 3 cross-gables to roof with lead flats to valleys. Interior: extensive remains in loft of mid C13 aisled hall with passing braces and reconstruction of c.1300 base cruck and crown-post roof, cross-wing to left has crown-post roof and C17 wooden dovecote. Arch-braced collar-truss visible to main bedroom. History: home of Walter de Catewy, alias Walter de Harwell, Sergeant-at-arms to Edward III 1341-1361, and of his son Thomas, M.P. for Berkshire. Seized by William of Wykeham in 1370 and from 1392 forded part of Winchester bishopric estates. ("Harwell, Village for a Thousand Years", Pub. Harwell P.C. 1985; The Bishop of Winchester's Medieval Manor House at Harwell, Berkshire and its relevance in the Evolution of Timber-framed Aisled Halls, by J. M. Fletcher in Archaeological Journal, Vol 136, 1979, p173-192)

Listing NGR: SU4911489121

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Harwell Village for a Thousand Years, (1985)
'Archaeological Journal' in Archaeological Journal, , Vol. 136, (1979), 173-192

National Grid Reference: SU 49114 89121

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 26-Nov-2014 at 08:16:00.